Do I need a structural warranty for an extension?

Hi,

I'm building an extension to my existing house and was wondering if I need a structural warranty? The extension is large and will double the size of the existing property. I'm not looking to sell after, but who knows. I may need to remortgage at some point too.

Cheers,

Ben

I wouldn’t of thought so 

But it depends on the purchasers Mortgage Supplier and Solicitor

The later can be a pain in the arse  

I built one on our last house about 5 years before we sold The purchasers survey just asked for BC sign off 

15 minutes ago, nod said:

I wouldn’t of thought so 

But it depends on the purchasers Mortgage Supplier and Solicitor

The later can be a pain in the arse  

I built one on our last house about 5 years before we sold The purchasers survey just asked for BC sign off 

I'd think BC sign-off would be enough too. I'll give my bank a call and see what they say.

1 minute ago, Ben100 said:

I'd think BC sign-off would be enough too. I'll give my bank a call and see what they say.

I think they make the rules up as they go along

i was thinking back to yesterday’s thread about SW 

They excluded our fibreglass flat roof But would be happy to include it if I had a 20 year insurance backed warrantee from the fixer

What’s that all about ? 

• Confused 1

It wouldn't be normal. Usually just planning consents (where not covered by permitted development) and building completion certification. 

Its the latter that become very strict as liability for faults is now considered lifetime. 

The one thing that could change the above is if a future buyer was to have a full survey and identified something they're were not happy with and then insisted on structural surveys etc.

Funnily enough exactly the above scenarios have just happened on a property my ex-wife is buying.

Extension built in the early 1980's, with no planning and no building completion cert. The issue has been solved with a full structural engineers report and an indemnity policy to cover future risk. All in a cost of about £1,000 to sort out which the sellers have met. 

9 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

It wouldn't be normal. Usually just planning consents (where not covered by permitted development) and building completion certification. 

Its the latter that become very strict as liability for faults is now considered lifetime. 

The one thing that could change the above is if a future buyer was to have a full survey and identified something they're were not happy with and then insisted on structural surveys etc.

Funnily enough exactly the above scenarios have just happened on a property my ex-wife is buying.

Extension built in the early 1980's, with no planning and no building completion cert. The issue has been solved with a full structural engineers report and an indemnity policy to cover future risk. All in a cost of about £1,000 to sort out which the sellers have met. 

That's interesting. I've got planning permission and have BC inspecting each stage, so I would think I'll be ok.