Electricity Quote: Reasonable?

Hi all,

Just had a quote back from SSE for my connection, it could have been worse, but would be good to compare to what others paid.

Not too sure what a joint hole foot path is, I suspect its digging up the pavement? 

Many thanks!

Edited by Sjk

I paid £636 without VAT which was for connecting to the pole and connecting to the house. They pulled the cable through ducting, including hockey sticks, which I had laid using the pull cord which I had fed through.

I ended up paying about £1000. The initial quote was similar to yours but I shaved about £1000 off by opening up the joint pit myself and filling it in afterwards, so all they had to do was pull the cable through an end to end duct with a drawstring, and connect both ends.

If the joint pit is in a surfaced public footpath, the only way you can avoid that is pay a highways approved contractor to do it, but I doubt they will be any cheaper as they will have to pay for a road opening permit.

I paid £7k.  Your quotes fine, don't get hung up on thinking it's pricey - at £2k, it ain't.

Prices vary widely because there's different nuances to all of our connections so you will find it hard to do a like for like comparison against anyone else on here.

Out of interest, how long did it take for them to make that quote?

And did you consider requesting a 3-phase quotation too? I've just requested a quote for one, it'd be interesting to know how pricing for it compares. with domestic 3-phase car chargers available,  having a 3-ph supply could become increasingly useful.

1 hour ago, joth said:

Out of interest, how long did it take for them to make that quote?

And did you consider requesting a 3-phase quotation too? I've just requested a quote for one, it'd be interesting to know how pricing for it compares. with domestic 3-phase car chargers available,  having a 3-ph supply could become increasingly useful.

I have a 3ph...the upgrade cost was negligible.  If you trawl the electrics thread there are a few concerning 3ph supplies.

10 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Would it seriously be worth upgrading to 3phase for this reason or would converters be used in future?

It'll always be possible to charge from a single phase, it'll just never be as fast.

If you only make one car trip per day or want to charge from self generated solar the option of a faster charge is probably not much interest anyway. The cost of upgrading a new install to it could be negligible, or could be considerable depending whether the nearest supply cable is 3 phase or not.

• 5 months later...
On 08/08/2019 at 08:18, PeterW said:

Also bear in mind the additional cost of the house electrics for a 3ph installation along with the added risk of a 415/3ph installation. 

Does anyone have more info on this?

FYI PH3 was about £100 more expensive than single.

27 minutes ago, Sjk said:

Does anyone have more info on this?

FYI PH3 was about £100 more expensive than single.

The additional costs are completely optional. For future proofing I'd just pay the 100£ for 3ph as far as the main fuse, and use a single phase meter and wire your house as normal. No extra costs, but you have the 3phase there at the cut out if you ever need it in future. 

We'd be looking at 3000£ for a 3ph upgrade. How I wish the original builder had just spent that extra little bit to start with. 

Cheers Joth

I've gone into accept my quote, now it is telling me that I can use other providers (SSE) which could be cheaper with other ICPs and IDNOs.

I didn't realise you could do this, is it worth it?

Is this for the contestable work items (digging trenches etc) or suggesting there's a whole other DNO you could be using??

We did all contestable work ourselves which obviously saves a bit. 

Surprisingly the gas co. at first didn't want to do a temporary disconnect for us (prior to a long delay on permanent disconnect), but then agreed to at no extra cost and even declined the offer of using the jointing pit we'd already dug saying they prefer to dig their own. So clearly what they put on a quote and what it really costs them is quite a different thing.

Oh yes: IDNO

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/electricity/distribution-networks/connections-and-competition/independent-distribution-network-operators

Lucky you.

Can't hurt to get a quote, unless you're on a tight timeline?