Passive Slab- MOT type 1 hardcore suppliers

dogman

Thanks @JSHarris, your persuasive arguments on derisking in another thread did push me towards MBC (and away from SIPs).  I'll try to drive some value out of MBC if I can based on the excellent info on this forum. Exchange rate may be playing into this perhaps, I know they have a UK supply base now, but presume that they are registered as an Irish company. 

33 minutes ago, Silage said:

Thanks @JSHarris, your persuasive arguments on derisking in another thread did push me towards MBC (and away from SIPs).  I'll try to drive some value out of MBC if I can based on the excellent info on this forum. Exchange rate may be playing into this perhaps, I know they have a UK supply base now, but presume that they are registered as an Irish company. 

They are a UK registered company now, and I'm pretty sure they were when we used them.  I know we paid in pounds, to a sterling account, not Euros, and the contract when we used them was under the law of England and Wales, even though our frame was made in their Tipperary factory.  It was much the same when dealing with Munster Joinery, they were based in Cork, but the contract was in pounds, paid to a UK account.

• 2 months later...

@Silage - ask me next week how polishing the slab for a final floor finish goes! The boys are on-site this week for our slab and hoping to pour concrete on Monday. 

We've planned for a powerfloated (ie. NOT diamond polished/mirror finish) final floor but it all depends on the weather on the day. 

• 2 weeks later...

@Silage

It turned out amazingly! It's not absolutely perfect like you would get from a diamond polish, but we didn't like that super-shiny look anyway, as well as not being able to afford it! I'd say it looks like a warehouse floor (B&Q/IKEA-ish). It's smooth but not shiny. We have a very few small holes where we had a couple of air bubbles, but we're going to fill them with coloured resin and make a feature. Overall, we are absolutely delighted. 

We got incredibly lucky with the weather though - it pissed down the two days preceding the pour and the three days after. Proper, heavy rain. On the day itself, not a cloud in the sky! Amazing luck. If it had rained, it would have been a write-off, pretty much no matter what you do. They just kept power floating the surface for much longer than they normally would - no special concrete, or treatment. We are going to cover it with cheap hardboard during the rest of the build, but we're not being too precious about it - going for the lived in look is very much part of the reason we chose the surface. 

It's a huge relief though, as if we'd had to change the surface, all the door thresholds and kit measurements would have been wrong, and considering our kit is already made. that would have been a pretty big problem. I've an early start tomorrow, but will try to post some pics for you :) 

• Like 1