What is this wood "design" called?

H F

The good old “Swastika butt joint”.

sorry, just made that up. Some confusion here though. Do you mean how the joints alternate vertically or how the butt joints go round each level in a pattern? Rather than showing the same on each side of each end?

22 hours ago, daiking said:

The good old “Swastika butt joint”.

sorry, just made that up. Some confusion here though. Do you mean how the joints alternate vertically or how the butt joints go round each level in a pattern? Rather than showing the same on each side of each end?

Yeah, I was refering to the way the joins alternate at the edges, down the planter to form a pattern.

i thought that was the way you always did it lol, so 'normal'. Only thing i would also do with raised beds like that is put some vertical wood (preserved 2 by 2 or similar, could be smaller) on the inside of each corner to hold the horizontal boards in line, stopping them a few inches below the top of the soil so cant be seen ?

Edited by redtop

1 hour ago, redtop said:

i thought that was the way you always did it lol, so 'normal'. Only thing i would also do with raised beds like that is put some vertical wood (preserved 2 by 2 or similar, could be smaller) on the inside of each corner to hold the horizontal boards in line, stopping them a few inches below the top of the soil so cant be seen ?

Or a long screw or rod down through the joints (need a long drill bit).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Or a long screw or rod down through the joints (need a long drill bit).

That's how we did it.  You can buy very long screws that are made for the job, often from the same places that supply sleepers for raised beds.

7 hours ago, Home Farm said:

Yeah, I was refering to the way the joins alternate at the edges, down the planter to form a pattern.

I think all "layers" are made the same. They just turned alternate layers over when it was assembled.

I'd call it  "Butt jointed, clockwise/anticlockwise on alternate layers"

Edited by Temp

2 hours ago, Home Farm said:

I finished our box cube planters with whatever that design is called, and they came out really well. Probably didn't do them the same way the pros would have done them here, but they're still standing  ?

That pattern is called "how to fold the lid of a cardboard box such that a small child cannot get back out".

I am not sure what they are called, but I have a friend who gets his electronic goods delivered to his company in interlocking foldable wooden 4 sided collars with hinges at the corners, which turn into planters or compost heap holders just by stacking. I have yet to obtain more than about two, such is the demand.

I quite like the "hinges for corners" technique.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1