High density insulation

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Is Dougie short for Douglas?

Douglas was the co-pilot in Cabin Pressure.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00lmcxj

This is totally off topic, sorry.

Yes.  He had a connection to your neck of the woods, too, as he was one of the Buccaneer pilots who bombed the Torrey Canyon back in 1967, I believe.

3 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

he was always sticking them  on a wing tip 

proper flying 

I think it was someone in Newton Stewart that reported him in the end, as he'd often do a few (limited) aeros over his own house, pretty close to the power cables.

50 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

He ended up getting into serious trouble for unauthorised low flying after I'd left, as I was asked if I'd be a character witness for his defence.  I had to refuse, as I knew full well that he'd take any and every opportunity to break the rules.  I've flown at a few feet above the water down the length of Glen Trool with him more than once.  I had two Devons in the fleet at West Freugh, XM223 and VP959.  Both were scrapped before I left (they ran out of fatigue life), and were replaced by a Jetstream, XX475.

he was always sticking them  on a wing tip 

proper flying 

14 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

My favourite plane, along with the A10.  They both looked like they meant business.

We had one at West Freugh.  Favourite question to ask anyone who didn't know, was how much they thought it weighed.  Not many looked at it and realised the damn thing weighed nearly 30 tons.  Built like a brick outhouse, much like other carrier aircraft of that time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottishjohn said:

tanks for targets

I want one, then I can fly down the A30 and get rid of cars, the ones that block off the outside lane leaving half a mile of free space in front of them.

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

The aircraft has a very strong pro lobby in the USA; have the USAF actually managed to retire them yet?

I seem to remember some poor eejit trying to convince a US Senator  (Mc Cane?) that the F16 was an appropriate replacement. 

If you can get a helicopter to carry same 1500 rounds (7ton ) of depleted uranium shells and that monster gattling gun --then yes retire it

till then there is nothing that can lurk about like an A10

2 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

A10 that one i would like to have flown 

with a full magazine and some tanks for targets

I attended a live fire day on Salisbury Plain many years ago and there were a couple of A10s 'attacking' tank hulls and the Gatling type cannons were deafening.

Going back to EPS bearing capacity. How do you choose what grade to use for ground bearing concrete slab. If the U laves stack up with EPS 70 is there any reason to increase the grade? Can EPS 70 support 100mm of self compacting concrete slab?

3 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Going back to EPS bearing capacity. How do you choose what grade to use for ground bearing concrete slab. If the U laves stack up with EPS 70 is there any reason to increase the grade? Can EPS 70 support 100mm of self compacting concrete slab?

I think the problem with more compressible types of EPS is creep due to the mass. This happens over a long period of time and may not be uniform which is why EPS300 is usually used.

10 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Depends entirely on the load that's going to be applied.

I estimated that our house weighs something like 40 tonnes (didn't write it down anywhere, so this is just from memory).  The load bearing area of the EPS (which is the total slab area) is about 85m².  The load on the EPS is therefore about 4.62 kN/m², well within the capability of pretty much any grade of EPS I'm aware of.   To stay within the load region where creep may be an issue the max allowable bearing stress needs to be kept below the 1% compression figure.

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Depends entirely on the load that's going to be applied.

I estimated that our house weighs something like 40 tonnes (didn't write it down anywhere, so this is just from memory).  The load bearing area of the EPS (which is the total slab area) is about 85m².  The load on the EPS is therefore about 4.62 kN/m², well within the capability of pretty much any grade of EPS I'm aware of.   To stay within the load region where creep may be an issue the max allowable bearing stress needs to be kept below the 1% compression figure.

Cheers Jeremy. I got a ground bearing 100mm conc slab to be around 250 kg m2. This excludes any partitions and live loads but sounds a lot less than yours with me having traditional strip founds. I just couldnt understand that 1% and 10% compression performance if I can't find it's maximum bearing figure. 

Is the clue in the name ie eps70 can handle 7kn m2?

Edited by Oz07

4 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I think the problem with more compressible types of EPS is creep due to the mass. This happens over a long period of time and may not be uniform which is why EPS300 is usually used.

Thanks Peter. Obviously mine is less structural not holding walls etc up. Jablite guidance says eps70 residential eps100 offices eps300 factories 

11 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Cheers Jeremy. I got a ground bearing 100mm conc slab to be around 250 kg m2. This excludes any partitions and live loads but sounds a lot less than yours with me having traditional strip founds. I just couldnt understand that 1% and 10% compression performance if I can't find it's maximum bearing figure. 

Is the clue in the name ie eps70 can handle 7kn m2?

The number after the "EPS" is the maximum 10% compression stress, in kN/m².  So EPS300 = 300 kN/m² at 10% compression.  Finding the 1% compression stress figure isn't as easy, but EPS100 has a 1% compression stress of about 45 kN/m², so that gives a reasonable guide as to what other grades will be.

11 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Thanks Peter. Obviously mine is less structural not holding walls etc up. Jablite guidance says eps70 residential eps100 offices eps300 factories 

Yes if you're using branded EPS there shouldn't be a problem. I read a paper a few months ago that IIRC stated that the percentage of recycled EPS in the samples tested affected the creep effect significantly compared to virgin EPS.