Green roof mortgages availability

romario

I wonder if anyone is aware of lenders that would be happy to lend on properties with green roof.

Initially due to the mortgage restrictions I didn't consider green roof. However the more I progress with the build the more attractive green roof becomes to me.

The image below is showing approved design and what I am building but I've been thinking of flat green roof with raised centre part that would allow entrance to the roof.

I will appreciate any comments.

North Side external.jpg

Green roof needs designing in from the outset as they have a different build up which can be much thicker and also have structural impacts. Not something you can just swap in as a direct replacement. 

On 05/08/2019 at 21:04, the_r_sole said:

Why do you want a green roof? you're surrounded by greenery there!

The plot has half an acre including the property.

I have ambitions to use the remaining garden for kids activities and growing your own vegetables / fruits following permaculture principals.

So if decided to go for green roof that would be partially also for growing vegetables 

The image below is the closest I could find in google images in terms of what it could look like.

However, the limitation or no existence of mortgage availability is putting me off from the green roof idea.

Green roof.jpg

5 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The danger may be that the house has far less value when you come to sell. I rather liked the idea of tiles. The combination of timber cladding and green roof would be too much like a hippy shed for my liking.

Thanks for your comment.

I agree with you than when selling the value could be lower due to the lack of mortgages availability.

we are going for a sedum roof and it adds little to the cost and will look great.  For the soil to be deep enough to grow vegetables (or even grass) it would be a lot heavier and hence more expensive. We have had no issue getting a mortgage for the build that will transfer to a normal mortgage post completion, got a few quotes as well; no drama

I am having a green roof on my forthcoming build. Mine was effectively mandated by the planners to satisfy SUDS. But building on what others here have said, my green roof will be a sedum roof, wholly inadequate for growing anything other than plants that tolerate sparse nutrition and occasional desiccation. And my roof will weigh (at most and when fully laden with both water and a layer of snow) 120 kg per square meter. Such a minimalistic sedum roof is called an "intensive" green roof.

What you propose is an "extensive" green roof, where the roof is suitable for growing much more. An extensive green roof is an undertaking that is an order of magnitude greater, requiring the structure of the dwelling to be much enhanced to support the considerable extra weight. And it would not surprise me if the cost of such a roof was 10x greater by comparison.

Be cautious!

Edited by Dreadnaught

46 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I am having a green roof on my forthcoming build. Mine was effectively mandated by the planners to satisfy SUDS. But building on what others here have said, my green roof will be a sedum roof, wholly inadequate for growing anything other than plants that tolerate sparse nutrition and occasional desiccation. And my roof will weigh (at most and when fully laden with both water and a layer of snow) 120 kg per square meter. Such a minimalistic sedum roof is called an "intensive" green roof.

What you propose is an "extensive" green roof, where the roof is suitable for growing much more. An extensive green roof is an undertaking that is an order of magnitude greater, requiring the structure of the dwelling to be much enhanced to support the considerable extra weight. And it would not surprise me if the cost of such a roof was 10x greater by comparison.

Be cautious!

exactly what we got to and hence going for the sedum roof