scotframe

Amateur bob

4 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

when you say "the full job" what do you mean?

I don't think they offer a "full job" service, I know a few joiners who love them and on the flip side I know a few people have been seriously stung for the "architectural services" they provide when altering a standard design.

I have used them a few times to produce bespoke kits but you really need to be comfortable with their terms and conditions, we recently had a lengthy stand off with them as we didn't think the window reveal details complied with building regs and they wouldn't issue a wall plate setting out drawing to site...

interesting, i would prob just use a standard design to avoid architect fees, who would i get for the groundworks?

26 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

interesting, i would prob just use a standard design to avoid architect fees, who would i get for the groundworks?

You’d need more than ground workers, the kit firm will only provide joinery services, you would have to get a builder to do the rest or employ all the separate trades yourself 

3 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

anyone on here used them? any good? thinking getting a company such as this to do the full job, im in scotland

My house is a Scotframe timber frame. They provided the drawings, amended the design when we altered it, provided the SER certificate for the frame, the timber frame and extras such as the internal doors, skirting, staircase, built in wardrobes (VAT reclaimable) etc. They were quite good to deal with. They did not provide the labour so we had to pay full VAT on the supply and reclaim it later. They did give us the name of a company to use to erect the TF, but after getting quotes we went with someone else.  

@Amateur bob if you haven't already considered Fleming Homes, then I would urge you to do so. They provide various "packages" which might suit your intentions. We went with Flemings and employed a builder to do the groundworks / foundations prior to the framer arriving.  We then employed a joiner to follow on once the frame had been erected by a team from Flemings. Take a look at my blog - it might help !

23 hours ago, newhome said:

My house is a Scotframe timber frame. They provided the drawings, amended the design when we altered it, provided the SER certificate for the frame, the timber frame and extras such as the internal doors, skirting, staircase, built in wardrobes (VAT reclaimable) etc. They were quite good to deal with. They did not provide the labour so we had to pay full VAT on the supply and reclaim it later. They did give us the name of a company to use to erect the TF, but after getting quotes we went with someone else.  

the VAT would be an issue for me as cashflow will be tight, im disapointed to hear they dont build it for you

23 hours ago, Christine Walker said:

You’d need more than ground workers, the kit firm will only provide joinery services, you would have to get a builder to do the rest or employ all the separate trades yourself 

yes i was hoping to find a company that does it all, that ptarmigan homes say they do but their financial history is concerning