Planning not supported

MarkJay13

Good Morning

We are looking to build above our downstairs w/c to make a en-suite, but unfortunately our council have send the below email, we are unsure what they mean regards to below 

1/ does not address the street? ALL other houses have a 2 storey section protruding from the house as our proposal

2/ proximity to highway? Our proposal brings us nowhere nearer to the path or road?

Any advice what else they mean would be appreciated 

After a site visit and an initial assessment of the application, it is the view of the Local Planning Authority that we would not look to support a the proposed extension in the current design, as the proposed design does not address the street and given its proximity to the highway this is something that would be needed.

Given the plot the house is sited on, alternative extensions are possible which would be looked at more favourably than the current proposal, such as either a side or rear.

It is the view of the LPA that due to the siting of the extension and the design that does not address the street, we would not look to support the application in its current form. If you may wish to look at the above options as alternatives.

Thanks in Advance Mark

EC335CBC-7F3B-4B62-9E05-2C8394510E66.jpeg

E5C8E405-D254-4497-8713-37DB8F336B94.jpeg

12 minutes ago, MarkJay13 said:

[...]

as the proposed design does not address the street and given its proximity to the highway this is something that would be needed.

[...]

That phrase is both meaningless and indicative of lazy thinking. It needs clarification. Ask for it.

My only observation is that present gable end looks stark and uninviting, i.e. no windows or features.

Design the extension to look nicer, e,g with a window or some other features.

If they refuse it, there has to be a planning policy reason for refusal.  I would like to see them show the planning policy that says "it does not address the street"

If they start discussing it with you just make it clear you will appeal if it is refused.

• Like 2

Looking at a slightly broader picture of the house on its corner, I can see a planner being unhappy about it not being quite clear which side is the "front".

I think it mainly reads as if the frontage is on the right, whilst the porch and main door face the other way. You may win by leaning on them, but OTOH a clearer appearance of facades may help you too.

Suspect this is an aspect of the "looK" that got through by default on the developer plan, and the "lot fell on you" (unfortunately). Looking through StreetView the other houses have an appearance where the entrance reads in the same orientation as the house. I think it is an artefact of being too close to the RH road originally to have the porch the other way round.

As to what to do, I would suggest a further conversation to explore their reasons.

What were the alternatives offered?

I think that changing the roof plane by 90 degrees to face the other way could do it, as could some treatment to soften it - that could be something like a window, or even a climber up the existing.

I think you get a free go having been refused, and I suggest asking how you can adjust it, and perhaps putting an artists impression in this time.

That is some good garden sideways expansion someone has done there. ?

Ferdinand

unclear-facade-house.thumb.jpg.e816f449d651be0816a979f6e047ed09.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand

I agree with earlier posts about breaking it up with a window.

This is going beyond your original questions, but what's your proposed budget to complete the work? Would I be correct in thinking it's just under 5m2 gained? Would be worthwhile to find out what the value would be per m2? 

Also of that house design in the development, has anybody else done a similar extension?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

My only observation is that present gable end looks stark and uninviting, i.e. no windows or features.

Design the extension to look nicer, e,g with a window or some other features.

I think that's pretty much what is meant by addressing the street. I have seen it in other planning documents.

17 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Don't take pre app advice as gospel. I've gone against recommendations before and still received planning permission. Pre app advice is like them being super cautious

Agreed.

The thing to take from what they have said so far is make the front more interesting and make it "address the street" and then they have no reason to refuse it.

Have you actually been refused planning yet or was that just informal advice?

4 hours ago, MarkJay13 said:

1/ does not address the street? ALL other houses have a 2 storey section protruding from the house as our proposal

2/ proximity to highway? Our proposal brings us nowhere nearer to the path or road?

Any advice what else they mean would be appreciated 

After a site visit and an initial assessment of the application, it is the view of the Local Planning Authority that we would not look to support a the proposed extension in the current design, as the proposed design does not address the street and given its proximity to the highway this is something that would be needed.

Their comment in red is one point not two separate points.

In plain English...

"It doesn't won't look right when viewed from the road and that's important because it is/will be close to the road."

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

+1

In my opinion your architect has also made it look worse by shading the extension to show the brick pattern where as the rest of the house is shown unshaded.

Try something like this if you can afford the extra windows.  The ground floor window could be frosted/wavy glass if its still going to be a WC.

979037719_FrontElevation.jpg.71a103238ead40899426a368a0d081da.jpg

Edited by Temp

• 3 weeks later...