League table of effluent trouble sources.

epsilonGreedy

I am trying to finalise my black and grey water drainage plan this weekend in order to purchase parts for work starting the following week (12th August).

The problem is I have too many options and what would help is confirmation of which effluent sources cause most trouble. Here is my guess based on renting an old house with a botched and extended drainage plan, the table shows worst to lease offenders.

1. Dishwasher (Reason: Formation of what the Dyno-Rod guy called FatCrete from fatty food residue).
  2. Toilet (Reasons: Super soft, super thick modern quilted toilet paper & flush away "degradable" haha wipes). 
  3. Washing machine (Reason: Gelatinous deposits formed from fancy modern washing liquids).
  4. Bathroom sink (Dentyl PH mouthwash which has an oil component that reacts with other soaps to form a white wax)
  5. Shower (Reason: Hair).
  6. Downstairs sink.

For anyone on mains drainage, then black and grey are the same, they both run to the same foul drain.  Good idea to try and keep fats out of the system, as they are probably the biggest cause of downstream problems, along with wet wipes and sanitary products.

If on a treatment plant, then much the same applies, with the difference being that it's the householder that has to deal with the problems that this stuff creates. 

The best solution is just to change behaviour, so that nothing untoward ever goes down a waste pipe.  Failing that, a fat trap can work well and isn't too hard to just build into an inspection chamber.  Screening, to catch insoluble solids can be done fairly easily, but frankly, cleaning the screen every few weeks is such an unpleasant job that I feel that educating all users is the better solution (same goes for fats, too, really).

Don't over think it.

You have a house for x number of people. Buy a packaged treatment plant for x (or slightly greater) number of people.  Building regs defines x depending on the number of bedrooms, so building regs says 5 people for ours and we have a 6 person treatment plant.

Re fat etc.  I work on the basis of treating fat as solid waste that ends up in the wheelie bin.  So for exaample when you have finished your fried breakfast, do NOT just put the pan in the dishwasher.  Pour what fat you can into the kitchen bin, then wipe out the pan with kitchen towel and put it in the kitchen bin. Then very little fat goes down the drain.

Don't put anything down the loo that has not been eaten first, plus a bit of soft toilet paper.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nod said:

Also worth rendering 

No bleach in the treatment plant 

SWMBO loves a bit of bleach in water to do the working surfaces, tiles etc. Also after cleansing by the loos they get a squirt of bleach around the rim/pan. 

What do you use instead?

53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO loves a bit of bleach in water to do the working surfaces, tiles etc. Also after cleansing by the loos they get a squirt of bleach around the rim/pan. 

What do you use instead?

It's all about moderation - we are on a treatment plant and have conditioned ourselves to read the labels in more detail in relation to various products. We only use those that state they are "septic tank" friendly and bleach IS one of those products.

As an initial disclaimer, we've been using our treatment plant for about 14 months in anger, but... I haven't lifted the lid in that time!

We're careful with fat/oil and it goes in the bin, any off milk goes in the outside tap soak-away, and we generally keep food waste out of the kitchen sink.  I've asked swmbo not to go OTT with the bleach/de-scaler etc, so assume it's used in moderation, but we don't use anything special. We stick to the same detergents and cleaning products so our bacteria don't get any shocks, and all seems fine so far!

No treatment plant in my case, all mains drainage except roof water runoff.

The dishwasher drain is a source of worry as it is 2.5m away from the nearest external wall and 4m to an external wall in the most logical direction. Extending back from the dish washer in the uphill direction to an external wall and then a rodding point would require another 4.5m run. 

Edited by epsilonGreedy

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

What do you use instead?

On off 

I can’t believe it 

you've killed all the little shit eaters 

? 

2 minutes ago, nod said:

On off 

I can’t believe it 

you've killed all the little shit eaters 

?

Here:

One side of the house:

- 3x WC's go into the bottomless pit.

- New bathroom basin, bath and shower into the bottomless pit. 

- Ensuite basin and shower into the bottomless pit.

- Cloak basin onto the garden.

Other side of the house:

Kitchen sink, wm & dw just empty onto the garden under a big bush. It can chuck up.

19 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Here:

One side of the house:

- 3x WC's go into the bottomless pit.

- New bathroom basin, bath and shower into the bottomless pit. 

- Ensuite basin and shower into the bottomless pit.

- Cloak basin onto the garden.

Other side of the house:

Kitchen sink, wm & dw just empty onto the garden under a big bush. It can chuck up.

F9EA0CB2-C297-40A8-AAA5-5598BB78CE03.jpeg