Is a 16kW HT ASHP really needed for my UFH with these heat loss figures?

The one in the photo for that listing is a pretty standard Chinese non-inverter ASHP.  The give away that it's a non-inverter model is the big motor capacitor over on the right hand side in the photo.

In general, Chinese non-inverter ASHPs may be OK, but are unlikely to be either quiet or as reliable as a well-known brand, plus spares may well be unobtanium, as often the same, or a similar, design will be manufactured by several different companies (it seems fairly common in China for companies to just copy each others products, even to the extent of using the same component suppliers).

Yes, @JSHarris, having been literally been burnt with some cheap Chinese LED lights, I think I am leaning towards a big name (unless I can get a unit for under £1k). This particular outlet came back to confirm that the warranty is with them so for me is no good as I would want to know that they will be around during the warranty period.

And I should probably be looking at having more faith in my heat loss calcs and size a bit more appropriately as 30% modulation seems standard on most brands so a 10kW unit may not make sense when heat loss indicates around 6000w.

• Like 1

On 02/09/2019 at 18:23, oranjeboom said:

I should probably be looking at having more faith in my heat loss calcs

That's why we decided to forgo the VAT reclaim and put the ASHP in as a post move-in install.  We're still running on a 1×3kW Willis which rarely goes on outside the E7 window, so I am very relaxed about my ASHP sizing since I can base this on a couple of year's actuals.

Edited by TerryE