Second hand kitchens

Gooman

Like all brokers they just create the platform for a kitchen studio to find a buyer. They dont really accept any responsibility for the actual kitchen sale though some handle payments

Its down to the buyer to check the product and make sure it meets their requirements.

I was watching the £1 house series and one couple had paid about £1500 For an eBay kitchen 

Looked really good value with an expensive extractor thrown in 

Some of the ones I’ve seen on the second hand kitchen company 

Are perhaps a year or so old and a fraction of the original cost 

If you can find one you like 

you could make a large saving 

Seems like a really good idea to me.

Last year a house just down the road from us was sold, and I knew that the owners had fitted a fantastic new kitchen around the same time as I was fitting ours (they used the same work surface supplier).  The difference was that whilst I only spent around £18k on our kitchen, they spent more like £60k on theirs.

The first thing the new owners have done is gut the whole house, including the kitchen.  I saw it all piled up on their drive after having been ripped out.  Enough to make you weep, really.

I’ve fitted a secondhand kitchen, with no problems, But not from a broker site.

I have also done a secondhand conservatory from eBay which probably saved 10k+. it was 6m x 4m for £600, delivered 120 miles.

Ditto upvc patio doors. Twice.

The keys are to know what your needs are whilst having the nimbleness to be flexible, and how closely it meets them, and condition plus it all being there. Ie Go and check first, piece by piece. Be prepared to wait, then swoop. It is the same as getting a good house for a good price.

You can probably save half the price on a new kitchen anyway. Secondhand just brings that saving to 70-90%.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I’ve been working on a house in the lake district 16000 sq foot 

75 k on the kitchen Scimatic 

There is a snooker room with a will equipped small kitchen that will probably get most of the use 

There is only him and his wife who will only use it at weekends 

How the other half live 

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

The prices some people say they pay for kitchens just boggles me. 

Firstly where the hell do they get the spare cash to splash £50k + on what looks like any other kitchen to me

Secondly what asshat it charging people 50k+ for what is essentially any other kitchen. 

That's how i made my living for 20 or so years. I would design and have made (handmade) bespoke kitchens, bedrooms, etc. I would then fit them into large posh houses. My kitchens ranged from about £30k to £180k. I would always make a good 35% profit on top and about £5k fitting. Don't knock it, you are not buying a posh handbag where they are producing a few thousand. You are buying a One off, exclusive, designed for you product. Nobody is going to come round and say, "yeah my friends got one the same" It's like having a pair of hand made shoes made. Or a fabric designed just for you, and made into an exclusive piece of clothing. It costs to be the only one to have something. I've specked up ovens, that cost £35k. I kid you not.

I’ve done both, when we bought the cottage it had a pine kitchen which in the first few weeks I quite liked however after that I couldn’t stand it, by this time we had already applied for pp and we didn’t want to spend a lot on a new kitchen but wanted to update before we sold again, we started watching gumtree and viewed a few second hand which weren’t any better than what we had but eventually found one that was a year old, couple had bought the house and didn’t like the kitchen, we bought it for £1400 including quartz breakfast bar and it fitted in great with only one unit to spare.

I do now have my £30k + bespoke handmade kitchen which is widely admired but I could have spent a lot more if I’d been able to they are definitely one offs.

Ex Display kitchens can be great deals. Dealers need to shift them. They are usually very well specced. They are unused and well looked after.

Get in touch with a few kitchen studios in your area several months before you need a kitchen and leave your details behind. I for one would be happy to sell any of my displays to an end consumer directly than pass it though a broker and pay them anywhere from £1000-1500 and have to add that cost to the sale price of the kitchen.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/08/2019 at 19:49, nod said:

An estate agent friend told me That people who are buying the high end properties are replacing the kitchen no matter how new it is if they don’t like the style or colour 

Bought my current kitchen on ebay auction from the owners who had an extension plus kitchen refurbishment done for unholy amounts of money. Old kitchen was around 8 years old, proper wood and went on a 1£auction. My winning bid at the end was something like 250£ including granite sink and neff oven/hob. Had to fit a new worktop and buy a tap, but that was about it, so my whole kitchen cost me approx. 650£incl.a days work by a joiner who fitted the worktop perfectly.

I would always do this again and if I had a spare 1000£ to spend, let a joiner refurb the cupboard doors and drawers.

I do think that average kitchen prices are obcene and would never spent this much, but others are on different budgets and I guess at some point you are paying more for the all inclusive service then the actual materials.

But I am always looking on ebay and I find top quality timber kitchens for between 300-1000£ all day every day.

"secret trick" from my joiner - repaint it and change the handles and it s a brand new kitchen. Paint and quality handles shouldn't set you back too much.

Edited by Patrick

• 4 weeks later...

When knocking our current kitchen and dining room together I was dismayed by the new kitchens in our budget and instead bought one from eBay. 3k bought me a vast number of solid handmade maple units and dresser, acres of granite worktop and a bunch of appliances. I sold the latter, used most of the rest in kitchen and utility, and had some over that neighbours used in their utility! 15 years ago it had cost 35k new, and to have replaced today would be over 50k (I contacted the maker in case I damaged anything bringing it in). Builders didn't seem to have massive issues with fitting. Granite Man (not his real name but defo his super-power title) turned the worktop into our new configuration plus a brucie-bonus of matching upstand using the excess! It is so solid, so beautifully made, the materials are absolutely gorgeous, and it cost so much less than the very meh alternatives! 

We are looking at doing the same again when we build, and now I've discovered these middlemen companies I hope they take some of the risk out of buying unseen - I think at least one inspects the kitchens they advertise and provides a general condition report...

Edited by Grian