Scolmore Click Mode: reasons NOT to buy ..... ?

ToughButterCup

We have Scolmore Click Definity (screwless faceplate) throughout our house.

Good:

• The rocker switches (ie, the bit that moves) look and feel very high quality.
  • Our electrician was very complimentary about the quality of the terminals etc in the back.

Less good:

• They're very heavily sprung and can be quite loud in operation (socket switches and retractive wall switches for lighting). Not sure it that'll be the same for the particular version you're buying
  • The screwless faceplates are, imo, pants. They feel flimsy, don't attach positively to the backplate in all cases, and I think the attachment dimples on the sides are as visually intrusive as screws on the faceplate.

I'm not sure what you're planning, but if I were doing this again, I'd go for good quality plastic outlets rather than stainless. I actually think they look better.

We have the white Click range and like the look of them and I like the fact they have little white plugs to cover the screws holes.

Our electrician said he fits nothing else as he finds them very reliable.

We've used them before in a previous house and in our conservatory.

I agree with @jack about the quite heavy switches on the sockets but not an issue.

Only negative I would say is that the screws for the cable connections are not "quite" the full width of the hole and you have to be careful that the copper wire doesn't end up squeezed along the side of the screw as it won't be fully secure. Other brands I've used before (to be fair they were MK) didn't seem to have this issue. It wouldn't stop me having them again though.

• 8 months later...
2 minutes ago, gc100 said:

What am I missing? What are Solmore clock mode about - whats different to normal units?

Just good quality at a sensible price.

The "unique" thing is the switches allow you to unscrew and move the actual switch modules, allowing you to mix intermediate and 2 way switches in the same faceplate.  The only way to do that with any other make is grid switches.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ProDave said:

Just good quality at a sensible price.

The "unique" thing is the switches allow you to unscrew and move the actual switch modules, allowing you to mix intermediate and 2 way switches in the same faceplate.  The only way to do that with any other make is grid switches.

Ah understood. Thanks Dave