Verge Coming back to bite me?

Hi there,

I've got a standard slated roof (sarking board underneath) and now that I'm coming to think about timber cladding, barge board, soffit etc I'm looking at the edge detailing (verge?) of the slates and wondering what the hell to do.

I hate soffit/fascia/barge board boxy overhangs so I had planned to keep them to a minimum.

Currently there is a 9 cm slate overhang at the gable(6cm of it includes sarking board overhang), and nominally I thought I would.

1. Attach treated timber to wall, circa 4cm thick, trim back sarking so its level with this board

2. Attach Siberian Larch barge board to timber batten, circa 28mm thick, butted up to slates, leaving a 2-3cm overhang of just slate

3. somehow magically fill in the gap between barge board and slates.

the slating, other than labouring is the one area I didnt pay any attention to,

Now reading about it now, I should have installed some sort of dry verge?

too late to easily retrofit, using only my diy skills?

is there other options? wet verge- pointing with cement?

verge.png

Pretty much the same circumstances as us in August 18. Although we attached the dry verge before the slating commenced and had also constructed the barge boards and soffits.

I couldn't decide what to fit.

From my research I came to conclusion that if you fit thick slates (we fitted cupa heavies) then it could distort the dry verge fitting. In the end we went for one that was designed for slates and battens and this gave us enough room to get the slates in. If I'm on the scaffolding I can see the bumps where slates overlap but this is not visible from the ground.

Have a look at my roofing entry 1. 

Also I felt my barge boards and soffits were a bit boxy went fitted although we have block and render in places which have reduced this a lot. But from a practical point of view these overhangs are quite useful as they act as a umbrella around the house to keep the rain away from the walls. Although you will get a less rain then we get here on Skye.

P1150714.thumb.JPG.5d53f08781f3872f388d14358913630f.JPG