Wash basin under a window ..... Phhhhhh

ToughButterCup

We have tilt and turn windows. And , in our wet room, if we put our wash basin under the window (just about the only place it'll go) the taps will prevent the full-opening of the window.

@craig is crying - I can hear his gurning from Lancashire.

Is there such a thing as a low-profile tap?

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This just highlights why I so much dislike tilt and turn windows that open inwards.

The place for a window to open is outwards.

Me too. 

We bought a house in Scotland that had inward opening tilt and turn windows.  They were so impractical to open that we kept them closed all the time.  Having to pull curtains right to the sides and remove everything from the window cills just to open a window is just bonkers. 

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

We have tilt and turn windows. And , in our wet room, if we put our wash basin under the window (just about the only place it'll go) the taps will prevent the full-opening of the window.

@craig is crying - I can hear his gurning from Lancashire.

Is there such a thing as a low-profile tap?

How much space have you got for tap before window hits?

28 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This just highlights why I so much dislike tilt and turn windows that open inwards.

The place for a window to open is outwards.

66 million french disagree.

Having lived in France for a few years I developed an appreciation of inward opening windows in a period property, they promote fresh air because they can be left slightly open in mixed weather. Re. curtains... if you have external shutters then your curtains will be lightweight hence just a minor hassle to flip out of the way.

1 hour ago, epsilonGreedy said:

66 million french disagree.

So do around 83mil. Germans, 9 mil. Austrians and 9 million Swiss.

I did  not understand outward opening windows at all for year, but now I can see 1-2 advantages. Still would not have them anywhere near my house.

46 minutes ago, Patrick said:

So do around 83mil. Germans, 9 mil. Austrians and 9 million Swiss.

I did  not understand outward opening windows at all for year, but now I can see 1-2 advantages. Still would not have them anywhere near my house.

I do not understand inward opening. It rains, with a little bit of wind to blow it onto the pane, and water comes in?  Why would you want a window that you cannot leave open for fear of it raining?

4 hours ago, lizzie said:

I love my inward opening tilt and turns.  Deliberate choice on my part.  No curtains here... where I have them blinds are fitted in the frame (very discreet)  so they move with the window.

Same here. Integral blinds only and I generally use them on the tilt setting rather than turn anyway.  Easy peasy to wash from the inside too when on the turn setting. 

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I do not understand inward opening. It rains, with a little bit of wind to blow it onto the pane, and water comes in?  Why would you want a window that you cannot leave open for fear of it raining?

The 1900 vintage French home I lived in had deep window reveals, the frame of the inward opening windows was flush with the interior wall i.e. no internal window cill. With such a deep inset it would take a breeze to drive rain inside.

It was a classic French framing solution replicated all over France at the time, I often see the same window latch on TV programs . I guess a solution evolved that was right for the climate across France in the age before central heating and MVHR.