Wickes Kitchens?

Hi there,

I'm interested to know people's opinions of Wickes kitchens please? I am looking at their Tiverton Slate kitchen, with quartz worktops and their Butler 1 Bowl sink. Neff induction hob and ovens. I will be supplying all my own American FF and tap. Undecided about dishwasher yet.

A little nervous about using them as most people (who probably have had bigger budgets than me!) have told me to go bespoke if possible. However, if I can save some money and still get good quality, I'd really like to! 

Thanks in advance.

I would treat sourcing the kitchen units, and the stone worktops, as 2 separate items.  I very much doubt Wickes will offer the best deal on stone worktops.

I am a fan of Howdens, but I would not get the stone worktops from them for the same reason, they just subcontract it and take a cut for doing so.

We have been looking at new kitchens for the house. We want top price when we sell up and to achieve that we have been advised to update the original kitchen. It’s tired and dated when you compare it to the rest of the house so we think it savvy advice.

After checking the high street outlets and dismissing the highbrow stuff, we have decided on diykitchens in Doncaster who do sell online too. Decent quality for the price and units come assembled with the doors fitted which may help some people. It’s amazing how much room flat pack takes up.

Fitted a few Bernstein’s kitchens (used to supply b&q)  which IMO are okay. Did think Wickes looked okay but didn’t float my boat.

If you have found a kitchen you like and are happy with the supplier then rest easy.

Wren wouldn’t give us a price on their kitchen until a planner had been out. I was in branch with a 3D cad drawing of the how the kitchen was going to be, I know exactly what we want and how it will fit (done this before Mr) We walked away.

My two local Howdens wanted to barter and are a pain to deal with so ruled them out.

For some reason, the Wigan and Bolton areas are a hotbed of small kitchen outlets but we never found any than came close to the finish of Diykitchens. This opinion may change as we are always looking.

Forgot to mention that we have a local German kitchen outlet. Didn’t see what the fuss was all about tbh.

Wickes are mid range quality and on the high side of price of the non-bespoke kitchen providers. Carcasses aren’t too bad, door quality can be suspect so check carefully if you go that route 

Their fitting is as variable as Wren - all depends which crew you get ..!! 

As @SiBee mentions, DIY Kitchens are really hard to beat for quality and price, well worth a trip. This would be the equivalent to what you are looking at - Clayton Carbon painted

Dave has a good point with the worktops and also Christine 

Two of the main granite and stone worktop suppliers are local to us 

Wickes simply get them to come out and template and add 25% on top for one phone call

We went out to Wickes originally as we liked the style of kitchen Very German looking 

But the cost quickly climbed 

As Christine pointed out your not a lot different than a bespoke kitchen

we found Wickes to be quite secretive They didn’t want us to look to closely at the design 

and were quite coy when it Came to exact prices 

When I told them I would fit the kitchen myself They started to loose interest 

The day they have there own fitters but they seem to use who ever is available 

We have a very large kitchen with a lot of appliances So it was never going to be cheap 

We eventually settled on a German kitchen. (Nolte) We had all sorts of odd sized units My wife finished up with exactly the kitchen that she wanted  No compromises 

We went direct to Granite UK 

for quarts worktops 

The final cost was about Less than Magnet and very similar to Wickes

Dont be rushed into a decision

Some of the main players are simply not interested unless you are ready to buy NOW  

• 1 year later...
On 31/07/2019 at 09:52, nod said:

Dave has a good point with the worktops and also Christine 

Two of the main granite and stone worktop suppliers are local to us 

Wickes simply get them to come out and template and add 25% on top for one phone call

We went out to Wickes originally as we liked the style of kitchen Very German looking 

But the cost quickly climbed 

As Christine pointed out your not a lot different than a bespoke kitchen

we found Wickes to be quite secretive They didn’t want us to look to closely at the design 

and were quite coy when it Came to exact prices 

When I told them I would fit the kitchen myself They started to loose interest 

The day they have there own fitters but they seem to use who ever is available 

We have a very large kitchen with a lot of appliances So it was never going to be cheap 

We eventually settled on a German kitchen. (Nolte) We had all sorts of odd sized units My wife finished up with exactly the kitchen that she wanted  No compromises 

We went direct to Granite UK 

for quarts worktops 

The final cost was about Less than Magnet and very similar to Wickes

Dont be rushed into a decision

Some of the main players are simply not interested unless you are ready to buy NOW  

@nod can i ask who you bought your Nolte kitchen through?