Stihl HSE71 hedge trimmer review

H F

We purchased Stihl's HSE 71 hedge trimmer to keep the hedgerow that shields us from the lane that passes our property neat and tidy. This is the first time we've purchased or used a Stihl product, and we've assessed it to see what it's capable of:

YouTube video:

Blog post: https://myhomefarm.co.uk/stihl-hse-71-hedge-trimmer-review

What does everyone else think of Stihl? Are they reliable as a brand?

I have experience of it and have to say very positive things. I think my chain saw is now 20 years old and I can still get any spares although I very rarely need any. IIRC is just a new plastic cover and rubbing strip for the chain since new.

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

Stihl are a good brand, you pay a bit more but get what you pay for.  

We typically buy branded stuff, but the build quality of the Stihl feels really well made compared to other brands. Will definitely consider them in the future.

Edited by Home Farm

Enjoyed the video, and looked at a couple of others. A couple of comments.

My important comment is I think there is (others may differ) a possible tension between you doing:

a - A "townies escaped to the country for the sustainable life" or "farmers returning to how we grew up" lifestyle / diary / experience type blog / vlog.

b - A "products reviews" type blog.

c - A "this is how you do it" verging-on-instructional type blog.

All 3 can work well, and the community you grow will respond to your content and change it over time. There are a number of people out there who have done various things such as smallholdings and green-revolution type things and offered services, and they get audiences of either people wanting to do it, people who want some experience without a wholesale change, people who therefore convince themselves not to do it, or those wanting skills and tasters.

*But* combining a and c is imo problematic when you are using potentially dangerous tools. If you listen to eg Farming Today you will know that smallholding / farming are dangerous lifestyles. The one that I noticed was I think you were using the big rotary mower in wellingtons - imo they need to be steel toe caps, whether trainers or work boots. Toe chopping is a classic injury, especially with hover-mowers as well as wheeled. It may be that you know the stuff, but the audience may not.

In my limited experience, a lot of people from other places are closer to country-living than many here; UKers may not to have the innate knowledge. If the audience is partly beginners, or urban escapers, or dabblers, who might never have seen more gardening than mustard and cress on a windowsill in Clapham, then you need to teach them the safety aspects with a cluebat - which might clash with your own "we are beginners" image. You may also at some point risk get someone turning up on your doorstep with a "we followed your chainsaw demonstration and lost 3 fingers" story.

My thought would be to go for option (a), taking care not to look like "instruction" or "demonstration" videos (ie "this is what we did", avoiding 'demonstration' or 'how to' language). But also to include safety notes - which could eg be a 30 second "safety spot" at the start (2nd potential set of vids...), and treat you learning about the safety as part of the lifestyle diary. You could even position it as people from another country being responsible and learning how it is done here. 

If taking a beginners stance, your positioning needs to be as the animators of a learning community, rather than as any sort of teacher.

You could do spots with the supplier, or you going on a course, or have a real expert who is a third character in your programme (in a way how the Countryfile presenters play the idiot to ask questions they already know but know that the audience does not). I am sure you have a local grizzled smallholder or self-employed outdoor worker type who would enjoy the publicity in return for their time and not needing to edit videos.

Just thoughts. ATB.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Thanks for the detailed comment Ferdinand.

It's interesting that we're coming across in such a way that our content is instructional, because it's certainly not supposed to. The point we're trying to convey is that we're "city slickers" that moved to the country and for the first couple of months we used all manner of DIY guys (some were good, others not so good) to help us with various projects; given the varying level of work, I undertook some DIY tasks, and they turned out pretty well. So we're trying to show that even though you may never have used a power tool or done DIY work, it's not impossible to get a good job done yourself if you're prepared to give it a go.

So from you list, we were very much aiming to satisfy criteria A and B from your list above: sustainable living with product reviews that are helping us getting things done.

We certainly were not aiming to come across as instructional, so to me it's very interesting that you think we come across this way, and I'll definitely take this on board. I do, however, want people to see that urban people moving to the countryside shouldn't be daunted by a chainsaw, hedge trimmer or mitre saw. It was intimidating to me at first having not done anything of the sort before, but I was able to work these tools and fix stuff.

So your point is valid Ferdinand, and maybe we'll show less of how we turn things on and do things, and more of me just using it. At the same time, we do want to convey some of the features of products, in a review style, so bridging that gap may be tricky as it may come across as instructional. 

Your feedback is invaluable, and would like to thank you for taking the time to share this, because this will allow is to modify and nurture a style going forward.

In closing, if you really enjoyed the video, would you be so kind and like it and also subscribe to our channel. All these little things help.

1 hour ago, Home Farm said:

Thanks for the detailed comment Ferdinand.

It's interesting that we're coming across in such a way that our content is instructional, because it's certainly not supposed to. The point we're trying to convey is that we're "city slickers" that moved to the country and for the first couple of months we used all manner of DIY guys (some were good, others not so good) to help us with various projects; given the varying level of work, I undertook some DIY tasks, and they turned out pretty well. So we're trying to show that even though you may never have used a power tool or done DIY work, it's not impossible to get a good job done yourself if you're prepared to give it a go.

So from you list, we were very much aiming to satisfy criteria A and B from your list above: sustainable living with product reviews that are helping us getting things done.

We certainly were not aiming to come across as instructional, so to me it's very interesting that you think we come across this way, and I'll definitely take this on board. I do, however, want people to see that urban people moving to the countryside shouldn't be daunted by a chainsaw, hedge trimmer or mitre saw. It was intimidating to me at first having not done anything of the sort before, but I was able to work these tools and fix stuff.

So your point is valid Ferdinand, and maybe we'll show less of how we turn things on and do things, and more of me just using it. At the same time, we do want to convey some of the features of products, in a review style, so bridging that gap may be tricky as it may come across as instructional. 

Your feedback is invaluable, and would like to thank you for taking the time to share this, because this will allow is to modify and nurture a style going forward.

In closing, if you really enjoyed the video, would you be so kind and like it and also subscribe to our channel. All these little things help.

Thanks. A pleasure.

Remember that I am only giving my opinion, too.

One test you could do is show some friends and ask how they perceive it. It is always about what other people assume and perceive about you, not what you think you are projecting, that defines you in the long run.

It is an ideal sort of question to ask on eg Twitter or Facebook (if you avoid the cess pit bits).. or join Ben Adam-Smith’s (houseplanninghelp.com) Facebook Group and ask there. Just engaging like that helps create your community.

And as you go on you tweak you mix to fit the community you are building, or to change it.

Edited by Ferdinand

22 hours ago, Home Farm said:

What does everyone else think of Stihl? Are they reliable as a brand?

I purchased a Sthil KM131 power head after discovering the Ryobi Expand-It tools I already had either fitted or can be made to fit.  It's a rather expensive monster but it's been fantastic.  If you need a powerful motor this is probably the one to go for. If not then there are smaller and lighter weight motors around. I've since added the Sthil hedge trimmer attachment.

Only issue with Sthil is they don't like dealers doing internet orders.

Edited by Temp

On 31/07/2019 at 08:28, Ferdinand said:

The one that I noticed was I think you were using the big rotary mower in wellingtons - imo they need to be steel toe caps, whether trainers or work boots.

They might have been steel toe caped and soled wellies. Agree that they should be worn, steel capped wellies (or boots etc.) are also cheaper (no VAT).

• Thanks 1

I have now watched through and, admittedly, they don't look like steels. My comments are based around safety: if using an electric hedge trimmer (personally I always use a petrol one, also stihl, because of reach, safety and reliability) you should have the wire coming from behind you over your shoulder, the way you were doing it could so easily result in cutting the cable. You should also, ideally have your arms covered and be wearing face (certainly eye) protection. Secondly, while it is laudable that you made this video, you should not be cutting a hedge in the countryside (in fact the RSPB would argue any hedge) between 1 March and 1 September. This is advisory in your case (DEFRA) but if you one is registered as a farm (ie over 5 hectares and CAP payment), it is mandatory. The exceptions are to trim back for safety (ie roads/visibility; footpaths/access). As you are promoting sustainability it would be wise, I feel, to respect this guidance.  https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/hedgecutting-ban-one-rule-for-farmers-one-for-councils. Good luck with your venture.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mafaldina said:

They might have been steel toe caped and soled wellies. Agree that they should be worn, steel capped wellies (or boots etc.) are also cheaper (no VAT).

Good point. Though as camouflaged PPE it could be mentioned ?, and demonstrated by hitting with a mallet or crowbar. Just don’t have similar looking soft-skinned wellies ?.

On the hedge cutting, I thought that non-Farmers could cut with care as the Do Not Cut was a recommendation not a ban for them, and that an offence was intentional disturbance of nesting birds without much chance of getting caught .. but in practice my tree surgeons for example would refuse to do a job involving disturbance to a nest.

So they have a look first and stop if they see anything.  In recent years I have unfortunately employed more tree surgeons than hedge cutters, and these are what they explain to me. I believe the restriction for farmers is as a result of EU Subsidy Rules.

So If lobbyists for hobby farmers / small holders currently complaining about the 5 Ha lower limit before you get to count as a proper subsidised farmer succeed, then the restriction would potentially apply to those under 5Ha as well.

Probably tend to agree with your comment on Best Practice, though. Though cutting hedges could get some publicity via Mr Packham.

All good stuff to talk about in a vid.

For OP: hope you do not feel daunted by all the onset of detail. The flip side is that there is all this wonderful extra stuff you need to tell people about in your videos.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Ferdinand, I agree with you that it is guidance and not a ban in this case but still consider it good practice. Also, I believe that 'intentional' is a term that is legally dubious in this context as the offence would be the 'disturbance of nesting birds' and as there is guidance on timings one could well argue that by virtue of ignoring the guidance, if birds were indeed disturbed, it would be intentional by default. There are a lot of these guidances/laws currently being ignored by people moving to the country, largely through ignorance, the main ones being controlling certain weeds (esp. ragwort), controlling rabbits (that one is a law not guidance), creating a garden from fields without planning... As for Mr Packham, he came rather unstuck recently when he caused the general license vis a vis shooting corvids/pigeons etc. to be suspended. The RSPB came down on him like a ton of bricks (pointing out that one of the major causes of the decimation of song birds was corvids) and the general license was reinstated fast.

M

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the feedback Ferdinand and Mafaldina. 

Once again some really great points from both of you, which I have taken on board and you've given me some very good ideas for things to include in future videos, and we definitely want to focus on the sustainability angle. Country life and country living is still very new to us, and we're learning multiple things on a daily basis, so thanks for all the info.

I'm strapped for time today to reply to all the points above, but wanted to address the comments about RSPB and DEFRA by going off on a slight tangent. We live in an area where we are surrounded by grazing, arable farmland, national trails and parklands. 

For the past six months the community has been opposing a planning application for an intensive poultry unit (IPU) that would produce over one million chickens for meat each year. Large broiler developments like this application are categorised in environmental regulations as being equivalent to crude oil refineries, nuclear fuel processing plants and chemical installations. So the pollution and environmental impact is massive. 

What's astonishing is that the application documents cite numerous "solutions" for things such as manure spreading that are in direct contravention of DEFRA guidelines and best practices. They also pay no respect to hedgerows, trees, wildlife, insects, birds, etc. and they'll hack and destroy whatever lies in their way to potentially build this IPU.

We contacted our local RSPB for advice and support to oppose this massive broiler unit as the ammonia that would be spewed from this factory will have a detrimental effect on vegetation and insect populations, and would therefore affect the numerous birds that are around us (from finches through to birds of prey). The RSPB would have nothing to do with it stating that this would not directly affect one of its sanctuaries,  which we found to be a bit hypocritical as they are The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds. They wouldn't formally object (even via email or via the planning application portal) to the development to protect birds and wildlife, or the welfare of broiler chickens that are raised from chick to slaughter in just over 30 days.

Edited by Home Farm
text edit

3 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

do you eat chicken yourself?

No. Our diet has gone largely meatless (very occasionally we have pork or beef). We stopped eating chicken years ago, when we discovered how many antibiotics they were being pumped with. 

Home Farm. I feel for you and am not surprised the local RSPB were unhelpful. You will need to lobby at a higher level. If they are wishing to remove hedges you might have some leverage there. You need to raise specific objections. Objecting to fertiliser spreading will not get you anywhere, access for lorries delivering/taking away stock, delivering feed might.  You might want to contact George Eustice (back as farm minister). He has quite strong views on sustainable farming. This link https://www.cornwall-aonb.gov.uk/blog/2018/5/1/the-future-of-the-farmed-environment-in-cornwall contains a talk he gave over a year ago on his vision for the future of farming and CAP payments AB, worth watching, it also explains how the present system works. Tom Tolputt's presentation also worth a look at. It is possible to farm without antibiotics. My son has a pasture fed organic dairy herd and doesn't use antibiotics (except in very rare circumstances poss 1 or 2 cows a year, they are not milked if he has to), his cows are outside, they don't get mastitis, they are milked once a day only, they will milk for many years not the usual two lactations of many commercial herds. He uses breeds that are hardy (largely jersey crosses) and that don't need to be fed grain/soya. His farm is a carbon sink, they have also introduced beavers to control local flooding downstream. He does not use any synthetic fertilisers and because he mob grazes he fertilises as he goes rather than creating a slurry pool. I have never used antibiotics here, I breed poultry (all sorts) for meat and eggs, beef, lamb and pork (admittedly I am very small scale), my cows and sheep have only ever been fed grass. The biggest issue around food production today is food is just too cheap, there are also too many in the chain between farmer and consumer, all taking their cut, the result is some producers looking at the best way to maximise their profits, large scale IPUs are one way of doing this, if you are only going to make a few pence (it really is pence) profit on a chicken you need to produce an awful lot of them. If you live in the country then buy all your food direct, it's easy, and eat seasonally, do you really need fresh tomatoes or strawberries in January or apples in June?

• Like 6