Wireless Internet connection

It is interesting this group of mixed devices connecting.

I got for a coffee and steal the internet.  Usually my Android Phone and Kindle connect just fine.

Now the summer is here, but even when cafe is quiet, it takes a while to connect both the devices.

As an aside, I am thinking of changing my phones hotspot name.  It is a rather boring one at the moment.

Not sure if I should just give it a rude name, humours name, or a rant.  Is there a word limit?

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

As an aside, I am thinking of changing my phones hotspot name.  It is a rather boring one at the moment.

Not sure if I should just give it a rude name, humours name, or a rant.  Is there a word limit?

One of mine broadcasts the SSID "GCHQ"...

• Like 1

50 funny SSIDs. All made up I expect..

https://www.buyvia.com/blog/50-funny-wi-fi-network-names/

1. It Burns When IP
  2. I’m Under Your Bed
  3. Pretty Fly for a Wi-Fi
  4. FBI Surveillance Van #119871
  5. DEA Surveillance #4188A87
  6. I’m In Your Closet
  7. I’m Watching You Now
  8. Skynet Global Defense Network
  9. Let Me Out Of Your Router
  10. Undercover Police Car #751
  11. I’m Cheating on my WiFi
  12. InterTubes
  13. Mom - Click Here for Internet
  14. The Promised LAN
  15. Because a LANnister Never Forgets
  16. Occam’s Router
  17. New England Clam Router
  18. Keep it on the Download
  19. Please Click For Identity Theft
  20. Network Not Found
  21. Bill Clinternet
  22. I Can Haz Wireless?
  23. Drop it Like a Hotspot
  24. Router? I Hardly Knew Her
  25. Viruses Are Us
  26. NotTheDroidsYourLookingFor
  27. NoFreeInternetHereKeepLooking
  28. Call Me Maybe
  29. Hidden Network
  30. IP Freely
  31. No Internet Access
  32. NSA Net Secure
  33. Get Off My LAN
  34. The LAN Before Time
  35. Untrusted Network
  36. Virus Detected! Do Not Join
  37. Malware Repository
  38. Access Denied
  39. Uncle_Touchys_Game_Room
  40. C:\Virus.exe
  41. No Wi-Fi For You
  42. My Neighbors Suck!
  43. Abraham Linksys
  44. IP-UP
  45. YerBabyIsReallyUgly
  46. John Wilkes Bluetooth
  47. Slow WiFi
  48. Optimus Prime
  49. WamBamThankYouLan
  50. TellMyWiFiLoveHer
Edited by Temp

Just now, SteamyTea said:

If I set up a hotspot, offered a registration via email, I wonder how many people would set up a password that is the same as the email one.

I've got a feeling that someone from one of the security/anti-virus firms did an experiment a bit like this.  A surprisingly large number of people just clicked straight through, even when there were prominent warnings.

OK demented.com here........BT WHW arrived..set up eventually, took an age to connect itself......seemed  OK then all went down again just the same as the router problem.. Only had 2 items logged onto it one phone, one ipad used for set up.

Been onto BT faults again....screaming in frustration by now, locked out of accounts new passwords for the umpteenth time all the usual .......finally after 2 weeks of them denying any problems with my broadband/hub they now say they need to send an engineer as there looks to be a problem somewhere.....engineer booked for Friday.

At times like this I wish I drank alcohol and could collapse in a gibbering drunken oblivion never to hear the dreaded words BT Broadband again.

• Like 1

I'm not an iPhone user but when you turn wifi ON on the phone they usually list the wifi networks (SSIDs) and asks which you want to connect to. Does it list any you don't recognise? Especially in parts of the house where your problem is worse?

Just now, Temp said:

I'm not an iPhone user but when you turn wifi ON on the phone they usually list the wifi networks (SSIDs) and asks which you want to connect to. Does it list any you don't recognise? Especially in parts of the house where your problem is worse?

I think we have now established the problem is likely to be in the BT network not mine, see what Friday brings.

30 minutes ago, lizzie said:

I think we have now established the problem is likely to be in the BT network not mine, see what Friday brings.

I would love to hear the outcome.

How can it be a BT network problem if your wired devices work?  WiFi is (an extension to) your local area network and will work (or not) irespective of your broadband connection, e.g I can connect to other devices, share files, print documents all via wifi even if the router is unplugged from and not connected to the BT line.

Just now, ProDave said:

I would love to hear the outcome.

How can it be a BT network problem if your wired devices work?  WiFi is (an extension to) your local area network and will work (or not) irespective of your broadband connection, e.g I can connect to other devices, share files, print documents all via wifi even if the router is unplugged from and not connected to the BT line.

My wired devices...desktop iMAC....been dropping in and out too. Major e-mail issues but thats not at all unusual with BT mail. Not been aware of any other wired stuff dropping  but it could have been happening too as it's on and off all the time.  They have consistently denied a problem up to now but suddenly today I need an engineer!

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

My wired devices...desktop iMAC....been dropping in and out too. Major e-mail issues but thats not at all unusual with BT mail. Not been aware of any other wired stuff dropping  but it could have been happening too as it's on and off all the time.  They have consistently denied a problem up to now but suddenly today I need an engineer!

Ah you never mentioned the wired devices having issues, only wifi, so we were all looking in the wrong place.

yes well I have only become aware of drop out on imac today because it automatically defaults to 4g hotspot and as the fault is intermittent I have not been aware of it.... I did check and all signs and tests show router working but clearly it is not working properly because now I have been able to see that despite what it says it is dropping

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah you never mentioned the wired devices having issues, only wifi, so we were all looking in the wrong place.

I didnt know until a short time ago that imac was defaulting to 4g hotspot during drop outs because it is intermittent I have not caught it at the right moment when checking it seems..... coupled with fact BT insisting no issues their end then suddenly this afternoon they changed tac and said I needed an engineer

Had BT here twice adopt their default position of first suggesting their tests indicate the fault is within my property and only attending site if I agreed to £150 or whatever charge should this be the case. Subsequently found to be 2km away from the exchange etc. Both times I emailed them after having done IR tests from where their cable terminates high on the wall to the master socket.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Had BT here twice adopt their default position of first suggesting their tests indicate the fault is within my property and only attending site if I agreed to £150 or whatever charge should this be the case. Subsequently found to be 2km away from the exchange etc. Both times I emailed them after having done IR tests from where their cable terminates high on the wall to the master socket.

Yes, remember to test with your router plugged into the master socket and ALL other slave sockets disconnected before you get Open Reach out to check.

• Thanks 1

One simple quick test to narrow down areas of concern - have you noticed an increase in background noise on your landline? i.e. crackling, popping etc.

A quick way to test for this is to do a quiet line test - dial 17070 and choose option 2 for 'quiet line test' - it'll go silent but keep the call active... listen for a minute or so for anything crackly or pops. Once done, hang up. This could be intermittent.

Second thing - if you could login to the BT Home Hub - somewhere there should be a log page that you can download and potentially share with us. On the Home Hub 6 this is under Advanced Settings -> Technical Log -> Event Log. There should be a button to save it (I think!). Would be good to take a look through that to see whats going on. 

Probably best to PM that to one of us and/or have a check through it before sharing as it may contain your username and/or land line phone number.

HTH. R.

• Thanks 1

+1

The modem can provide info on the quality of the line. Things like the signal to noise ratio (or signal to noise margin). If the engineer that turns up knows about broadband perhaps ask him to show you how to access the modem admin page.

The signal to noise ratio should be above 10db, over 20db would be good.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MrMagic said:

Probably best to PM that to one of us and/or have a check through it before sharing as it may contain your username and/or land line phone number.

I have done a copy...I hope and pm a link to you. I hope you can open it I have no idea if any confidential info in there, there is reams of it.  It appears to have been doing stuff all night. I’m afraid its gibberish to me.

Broadband is still in and out hub saying its on and devices saying its not.

Thank you all for the help.....master socket tried no luck.

So far - 

- analysed logs from HomeHub, strange disconnects seen on link between HH and Netgear switch

- iPhone is seen bouncing about on WiFi

- No obvious line side disconnections

iMac changed to be cabled direct to router and WiFi turned off - behaviour still sluggish so looking towards either a faulty router or line side fault potentially. 

BT out tomorrow. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all...back from the wilderness of BT broadband...or rather lack of it.  It was their problem all along.  A cabinet miles away with fibre head issues.  Taken them an age to get it sorted, half the village has been off.  2 engineers here telling me all was OK when clearly not, the only way they pursued further was because I showed them the village facebook page with dozens of people with the same problem.  That defaulting to 4g hotspot on imac really confused the issue for me for a few days.

Thanks for all your help guys.

• Like 3