Overhead Telephone Poles & Wayleave

I've got some overhead telephone poles on my land - some are covered by a wayleave but the majority are not. I have served notice to terminate the wayleave, and have also requested removal of poles that have no wayleave. The poles are not close to the house, but will be in an area where we hope to do some landscaping. Openreach has responded asking to enter into a new agreement, but I would ideally like the poles to be buried.

Openreach has comeback saying that laying them underground is not possible. When queried, they said...

"The ‘nature’ of the apparatus is that it used to provide telephone services, which are always above ground due to the way service needs to be distributed to properties, had it been internet related this may have been possible."

Is this true or are they just talking nonsense? 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Utter rubbish ..!! Most cabling is now underground anyway ..!

Thank you... that's what I thought!!!

As I understand it all of Virgin's telephone cables are underground. 

Dealing with one of Openreachs' paralegals who is basically giving me the 'computer says no' response. Trying to play nice for now as I would like them to do the works at their cost or at minimal cost to me. 

Edited by janelondon

I can confirm this is complete rubbish, too! 

We had a pole and over-sailing telephone wires that had to be moved.  There was no wayleave in place, so Openreach free-issued us with cable and Duct 56 (their grey underground ducting) and we laid their cable for them in the ducting when we were putting in all the other services.  Openreach prefer to put cables underground if they can, for reliability, the only reason they don't do this normally is cost.

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

We had a pole and over-sailing telephone wires that had to be moved. 

Thank you @JSHarris - I remember reading your blog/forum posts about this and that's what made me immediately question this Openreach guy. I have a strong feeling that they are resisting due to the cost - there are 11 poles on our land.

• Like 1