Blockwork Standards

Warrior89

Evening folks,

All the block work for my sub-build has been completed but I was thinking that some of it looks a bit 'slap dash' in the way that the perp joints are only half full, cement not cleaned off other block work etc. Okay most of it will be covered up but I’m now a bit wary of the same builder carrying out the rest of the blockwork.

This may be totally normal practice in the industry or I may have overly high expectations.  So I was just wondering what everyone else thought of their own blockwork?

Photos can be sent over private message if required.

What is the block work spec..?? 

If it states fully filled and pointed perps then you’re within your rights to ask them to do it. If not, thats pretty standard. 

What is in the cavity insulation-wise ..??

20 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What is the block work spec..?? 

If it states fully filled and pointed perps then you’re within your rights to ask them to do it. If not, thats pretty standard. 

What is in the cavity insulation-wise ..??

This is what is stated in the notes.. 300mm concrete block cavity walling (550mm to Porch) up to DPC level with 50mm cavity filled with mortar to ground level.

If it's pretty standard then fair enough I just wasn't overly sure.  I'm maybe just over thinking it, as per usual. ?

Below ground footing blockwork often looks messy and need not imply the same team will do the same higher up the elevations, though it does appear worse than mine.

The mortar mix looks strong which is correct below dpc. I would be more interested in levels and how square the plan view is.

• Like 1

I paid the Brickie's an extra 50p a mtr to point and bar rub all block work and made it clear I had no intention of parge coating    To cover up bad block work 

Or scratch coating prior to render 

Thankfully most of the sites also insist that BW is pointed Particularly with external areas 

Back in the day we would just put a thick scratch of sand and cement 

But with modern through coloured renders Most don’t require a scratch coat You can’t cover bad BW 

Its laziness Quick to clean off when wet Pain in the arse when rock hard I would tell your contractor that your not happy

• 1 month later...

It’s defo not ideal but to be realistic we’re only looking at a pic of two missed perps, now let’s be honest who hasn’t missed fully filling one or two when walling, tell the guys by all means. But like has said before if it’s level and square that’s the main thing at that point of the build I’m sure they will do ok on the build above DPC , but just keep an eye on them,