DIY Hep2o shower room...

Roz

So... am I mad? I stumbled upon various videos on plumbing and Hep2O got me thinking I could do the shower room in our garden studio myself........ ? I haven't figured out the waste yet, or the inline water heater stuff (does it just need a regular tap  connector, etc - electrics to be done by electrician), but I started sketching what I would need on the attached. 

I have realised that my planned 25mm service void isnt going to be enough... which might be an issue as the stud walls are up. I left space for 25mm batten, plus 2 sides of 12mm plasterboard / tanking plasterboard. Can the plasterboard finish on top of the shower tray as that would give me the extra inch I need, or does it have to extend down the sides of the tray. 

Oh and I need to recess the shower and tap valves in the wall, hence the random use of multiple elbows.

Is it mad to do this myself? The labour only quote I have had is about £1000 for first and second fix of this bathroom, plus a washing machine round the corner. 

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 19.39.40.png

Edited by Roz

On 28/07/2019 at 19:25, Roz said:

So... am I mad? [...] Is it mad to do this myself? [...]

No. Not mad. It's more subtle than that.

The Devil is in the the detail, and the approach. Circumstances forced DIY on us.

Long story short, I'm starting to forgive myself for getting it wrong first , second and third times - I've settled on a general approach to reduce the likelihood of mess-ups.

• Research like mad > take notes > network > ask on BH > where sensible, do a trial / small exercise which uses the same skills > re-plan.
  • Just Bloody Do It > get it wrong > re-plan > re-do
  • Stop feeling guilty about not doing everything else > enjoy what I'm doing
  • Leave it for a bit > come back to it a day later and re-assess. If necessary rip it all out and start again if possible. That takes a bit of guts and not a few swear words.
  • Just Bloody Do It. Again.

It works: takes seven times longer than I think it will take (not joking). And on a good day, I allow myself to take a bit of pride in it. Stupid I know, but thats the truth.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2019 at 17:56, AnonymousBosch said:

No. Not mad. It's more subtle than that.

The Devil is in the the detail, and the approach. Circumstances forced DIY on us.

Long story short, I'm starting to forgive myself for getting it wrong first , second and third times - I've settled on a general approach to reduce the likelihood of mess-ups.

• Research like mad > take notes > network > ask on BH > where sensible, do a trial / small exercise which uses the same skills > re-plan.
  • Just Bloody Do It > get it wrong > re-plan > re-do
  • Stop feeling guilty about not doing everything else > enjoy what I'm doing
  • Leave it for a bit > come back to it a day later and re-assess. If necessary rip it all out and start again if possible. That takes a bit of guts and not a few swear words.
  • Just Bloody Do It. Again.

It works: takes seven times longer than I think it will take (not joking). And on a good day, I allow myself to take a bit of pride in it. Stupid I know, but thats the truth.

Thanks @AnonymousBosch! I'm going to 'just bloody do it' and see what happens! And post photos on here to see if anyone has any thoughts. I'll probably leave the pipes in the main house to someone who knows what they are doing, but for our little shower room in the studio I'll give it a go... 

I spent ages on screwfix website ordering bits and pieces. Their shopping cart is crap and kept deleting things so I ended up missing a lot out. But hopefully today I will have what I need and can start having a look at it all together. ?

3000 photos later I've finished my bathroom. Helped at every turn by the good folk on here:

Bathroom

Probably best start at page 31 and work forward in time...

Edited by Onoff

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

Love how the bubbles light up! ?

Using Hep2O is a doddle tbh.

DON'T FORGET THE PIPE INSERTS!

Push fit, whether Hep2O or JG Speedfit can look a bit untidy if the pipes are on show. 

I did the hep2o plumbing in our house and with a bit of common sense and a lot of research it isn't that difficult. As @Onoff says don't forget the pipe inserts! Also the connectors are really easy to fit, just push and twist. Measure exactly where you are putting the basin, shower and toilet and bring the pipes through in the correct position. I fitted dwangs to bring them through the walls. I attach a picture to demonstrate. Bearing in mind these were stud walls. I also fitted wooden supports for the bolts on the basins. As you can see it is  IMG_20160831_123241676.thumb.jpg.14e44f85eba644786b95a573a3c19a76.jpg

easy to attach copper pipe tails into the hep2o fittings. Have a look at YouTube, there are some good demos there.

IMG_20160831_123251236.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JanetE said:

IMG_20160831_123251236.jpg

In this pic, what is the finished look? I'm wondering what the copper bits are for and whether we need them. I can post a pic of the tap I am thinking of.

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I spent ages on screwfix website ordering

For future reference, if you’re ordering the stuff for the house then use JTM Plumbing online as they are much cheaper for bulk. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

For future reference, if you’re ordering the stuff for the house then use JTM Plumbing online as they are much cheaper for bulk. 

so they are, thanks!

8 minutes ago, JanetE said:

@Roz the 'copper bits' are the tails that feed the hot and cold water to the shower.15646636442991658613668.thumb.jpg.1c465eb3f80a12cfd583f2ebeb1056dd.jpg

That makes sense. I think because our shower mixer is concealed that was why I haven't planned on using them :) well i will certainly post with questions when I come to tackle it... maybe over the weekend ?

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

That makes sense. I think because our shower mixer is concealed that was why I haven't planned on using them :) well i will certainly post with questions when I come to tackle it... maybe over the weekend ?

I also used plastic plumbing for our build, and never having used it before I found it pretty quick and easy to use.  However, like @JanetE, I opted to use copper where the pipes came out through walls to connect to stuff with compression fittings (like shower mixers), and also where any pipes were going to be visible, like those running into units to connect to taps etc. 

Copper pipe just looks so much neater, when it has to be on show, than plastic.  Getting the plastic pipe to run in dead straight lines is challenging, plus the fittings for plastic pipe are a lot bulkier.  Having to look at untidy plastic pipes every time I open the cupboard under the sink would, I'm sure, drive me bananas!

• Like 2

Ok I have been taking a look at what I’ve got and have a quick question. 

Ive got some straight tap connectors 3/4 inch. They have an extra washer in the packet and it’s angled... 

Do I put it on the end? Which way up? 

Also the shower instructions say to use ptfe but that’s not necessary with these is it? 

C7AC9593-11F4-4E3B-BC81-BB81237FD5F1.jpeg

E9DC0E77-7B70-4B47-9EFF-59B53FFB9FBD.jpeg

image.jpg

Picture 1.

Look on the bottom of the tap it's going onto. Might have the inside edge of the hole up it chamfered a little that the angled rubber seats against.

No need for PTFE with these.

Imho.

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Picture 1.

Look on the bottom of the tap it's going onto. Might have the inside edge of the hole up it chamfered a little that the angled rubber seats against.

No need for PTFE with these.

Imho.

Hey onoff... here is the tap it’s going onto if that’s what you mean 

image.jpg

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Hey onoff... here is the tap it’s going onto if that’s what you mean 

image.jpg

Ok a flat face not a chamfer. Hold the connector, with the rubber washer as in your picture 2 against this. You should see as the nut tightens up it'll squash the rubber in / against this. Hand tight plus a bit is usually all you need. Have read once hand tight then tighten a 6th of a turn more so one flat face more round.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1