Gutter Overflow in Heavy Rain

I have this problem both front and back.

Here are a couple of piccies of the gutters overflowing.

1318CE02-899F-457D-9D32-9B7C399549A0.thumb.jpeg.fec10d372fa2ad7780fcfe09c2f4ae6b.jpeg

849DFEF1-1A10-4F84-B804-A2126F6B56DA.thumb.jpeg.7ba1c8c6f0fc588acfb30047f6872f58.jpeg

92D98D31-8BCF-43F1-A24D-CD6A558F4517.thumb.jpeg.9224ae24b7c0d2bac78f330ecbd04a2f.jpeg

The core issue istm is that both gutters carry the runoff from about 40sqm of roof, and it comes 80% down a single valley as it is a large roof with big gables. Here is one:

A39CAC02-8079-4869-AEC6-704CD5D6E93E.thumb.jpeg.f691446719a0e3ac633456b8c6d964ee.jpeg

BD2F52B1-1296-4D7B-A88F-61A55F403D5E.thumb.jpeg.99569768640737e719aafee770d8f019.jpeg

758D2B33-DBA8-4A38-84D4-CA8227A90B26.thumb.jpeg.3e29122f9805487d79900179120c3473.jpeg

I would say that the answer is

1 - Deep flow gutters on the sections to catch the heavy flow.

2 - A couple of extra downpipes. Untidy.

3 - Something to slow the velocity of flow n the valley some distance up the roof.

Thoughts welcome.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

17 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

it is Marley something tiles.

I had that sort of tile.  Tried to find a pic to show diverters on main roof but not much luck.  Attached is an old pic back of garage see small piece of lead shaped to divert and slow flow as it comes down On the other side of the house I had some big steep valleys with several diverters, roofer placed them.

When I had some cleaning work done on guttering outside my front porch they unknown to me removed diverters going into gutters and when it next rained we had a waterfall over the front door....queue roofer to reinstate lead diverters.

Any experienced roofer will know how and where to place these.

9FB5EC70-AC60-4C41-BB08-17E54F9A9408.jpeg

@Ferdinand If you blow up pic and look above parasol in corner where glass roof joins tiles you can just see lead diverter taking the water down into the gutter and away from the glass roof.  We had normal gutters and downpipes and a huge roof and no problems with these diverters in place.

F6903264-826E-4FD8-AC6F-A6B59F37217D.jpeg

• Like 1

It looks like you are overflowing at the end of the run - where the downpipe is. Suggests either that the gutter slope is too high so water is rushing down it, or perhaps the hole in the gutter connecting to downpipe is too small or obstructed.

You gutter supplier should have some documentation on slope as well as number of downpipes for the area of roof. If the single downpipe is not adequate then you might have to use a larger diameter pipe - slowing / diverting water on roof or deeper gutters will not solve it, only delay it.

1 hour ago, ragg987 said:

It looks like you are overflowing at the end of the run - where the downpipe is. Suggests either that the gutter slope is too high so water is rushing down it, or perhaps the hole in the gutter connecting to downpipe is too small or obstructed.

You gutter supplier should have some documentation on slope as well as number of downpipes for the area of roof. If the single downpipe is not adequate then you might have to use a larger diameter pipe - slowing / diverting water on roof or deeper gutters will not solve it, only delay it.

My original gutter supplier was the @#£&*()’l self builder who did the conversion before I bought it. ?

TBf there have not been many problems.

I think the issue is really speed of water hitting the gutter on one side, and as you say the other.

Roof angle is 5x degrees iirc, and the roof length on the slope is about 6-7m.

The gutter run around that conservatory is slightly complicated, and at pr3sentvtg3 corner a5 the bottom  F th3 valley has debris. I think the only way to clear that one is to go up on the conservatory with a crawler whenever it happens. Separate issue.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

We have two places where the gutter sometimes overflows. It's because gables and dormers create a lot of roof area feeding water to only a short length of gutter and one down pipe. Nothing we can easily do without fitting an enormous wide custom made gutter/hopper that would look ridiculous. Fortunately it only overflows in really heavy rain not the usual showers.

I've put diverters in on one valley - just to slow the H2O down a bit and throw it away from the corner and onto its journey towards the down pipe.  I fitted deep flow gutters as standard and also reduced the number of down pipes.  On our current house (not the new build) last winter I also removed the hedgehogs - the issues we had with water over flowing the gutters went away.....   I do have to clean the moss out more frequently though.