nod

We have just finished the drive 

410 mtrs of paving 30 ton of sand 

My wife has pulled most of the paving on her little truck 

A monumental effort considering she is on 9 stone wet through 

C554CE58-698A-404D-9FF6-CD9E1F753A10.jpeg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Eh up lad, you're a pair of grafters aren't you? It's not as if you don't both work at demanding jobs as well.  

You may have a Sarsaparilla on me at your local tonight.....  Preston - home of Temperance and all that eh?

Ha ha 

Thanks Ian

52 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

looks really great

have you had previous experience laying this type of driveway, or did you learn on the job?

I’ve done most things over the years

I trained as a plasterer many years ago and floor screeding tiling was all part of the job 

Once you have screeded a section 

You only need to place the blocks Down

The trick is compacting everything as you go

This shows the difference between an artist and an engineer.

Had I been doing it, it would all be dead square, an exact integer number of blocks wide totally avoiding the need to cut all those slithers at an angle and get it looking nice.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

This shows the difference between an artist and an engineer.

Had I been doing it, it would all be dead square, an exact integer number of blocks wide totally avoiding the need to cut all those slithers at an angle and get it looking nice.

I couldn't decide on the pattern for our drive paving, so drew up the whole drive in Autocad and made several different versions, with different angles and layouts.  When I gave them to the chap that laid the drive he couldn't believe that anyone would spend hours drawing the layout of block pavers before laying them...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I couldn't decide on the pattern for our drive paving, so drew up the whole drive in Autocad and made several different versions, with different angles and layouts.  When I gave them to the chap that laid the drive he couldn't believe that anyone would spend hours drawing the layout of block pavers before laying  them...

I will be tiling our hall and utility room floor soon with slate tiles of varying size.  I intend to model that on CAD so I have a worked out pattern to follow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Cutting in looks neat. Did you have chamber covers? If so, photo please so we can check...

I bought a Belle maxi splitter 

pretty good I’ll put it on eBay shortly 

I have a makita masonry saw for the smaller cuts 

But if you have a sweep in your edging like has been done here then your always going to end up with various different size cuts. Curves in brick paving also looks a lot nicer than a series of lines. It also shows how much time and effort that @nod and his wife put into this job. Look at the size of some of them cuts, there tiny. I know a lot of guys who would have just filled them gaps with sand and walked away. Hats off to both of you.

Are you going to seal it up with anything or let it weather first???

39 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

But if you have a sweep in your edging like has been done here then your always going to end up with various different size cuts. Curves in brick paving also looks a lot nicer than a series of lines. It also shows how much time and effort that @nod and his wife put into this job. Look at the size of some of them cuts, there tiny. I know a lot of guys who would have just filled them gaps with sand and walked away. Hats off to both of you.

Are you going to seal it up with anything or let it weather first???

It’s really nice of you to say that Declan 

Thank you 

A lot of Time was spent cutting and following the curves