We had a letter today saying that they had all the info and documentation that they needed 

and our claim will be processed over the next six weeks Then refund will follow within 14 days 

It’s a bit of a relief after reading recent posts 

Let me explain

We had Counsul tax people sniffing around before we even had pre plaster inspection 

After much argument they told us that in there estimation we could finish the build six weeks after pre plaster inspection and we could be ready for that in two

We tried everything Showed them that the German kitchen we had chosen that couldn’t be measured till plastered Had a twelve week lead time

Go to Howdens or B&Q Get an off the shelf kitchen

We’d no services or toilet Water was coming from an outside tap next door 

In short we where miles off 

Eventually we where made an offer 50% for twelve months then full amount Even though we where still paying on our current home 

Take it or leave it and risk having to pay the bill for the full amount that we already have 

By the time we moved in we had paid 12 months at 50% amount 3 at  full amount 

We where able to get BC to sign us off 5 months after moving in 

By this time we had paid 20 months Counsul tax 

and lived in the house for 5 months before sign off

We wasn’t sure if this would be an issue 

We where absolutely honest in our submission 

But no mention of the timeline from  HMRC 

• Like 1

Best of luck, I have just sent all my paperwork to a VAT accountant to do it for me (as I would probably make a mistake and be fined!). Also we moved in 10months ago but only just got BC sign off. I also copied the recent court case thread on here where HMRC lost their case to my VAT man who thanked me for the info.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nod said:

We had a letter today saying that they had all the info and documentation that they needed 

That’s good news. Unfortunately the council tax folk have no idea how long a self build takes. You really grafted with yours but it still took much longer than their (IMO) p*ss poor and unreasonable estimates. They simply saw you as a cash cow. It’s inconsistent too. Our council wasn’t even bothered until well after we moved in. 

You applied for your reclaim at exactly the right time given that HMRC have had their arses kicked by the tribunal judges. 

Happy days, and start planning to spend the reclaim! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

It is funny how different councils behave.  Ours know we have moved into the unfinished house but are happy for the moment for us to keep paying band A CT for the static caravan.

I think we’d been in well over a year before they charged us. Maybe closer to 2! 

Must be an area variation. 

No one bothered us at all during the build....we told them we had moved in (after sign off) and it took a few months before they even replied and then another few months for valuation office to assess it. They said I could pay an amount every month on account pending the valuation office assessment or just wait until assessment was done and pay the whole bill then.  Bill started from date we told them we had moved in but it was nearly a  year before we got the bill.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say my VAT reclaim went to HMRC today (via Andrew Jones the VAT man) and I got this :-

In around 2 weeks, HMRC will write to you, if they ask any questions at that point, please speak with our Andrew before answering, irrespective of how simple and straight forward something may look & sound, HMRC always have a motive

At the point of writing to you in the first instance, this part of the process is called eligibility (at this point HMRC are looking for ways and reasons to refuse your reclaim). If there are no questions, brilliant. After appeasing them at this point your reclaim moved on to processing, where the job is waiting for a case officer to actually look at each individual document and see if they agree with our workings. This takes around 4 weeks from initial letter to getting the package back.  You then receive the paperwork we will have posted in, back in the mail together with a letter advising how much they feel your reclaim was worth and advising it will be paid to you in 20 working days (the money is in your bank in around a week).

interesting point about motive!!!!

will keep you posted ?

12 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Just to say my VAT reclaim went to HMRC today (via Andrew Jones the VAT man) and I got this :-

@joe90 we used this guy and found his services to be very professional, efficient and expeditious. No complaints at all, so hopefully you will have a similar experience. 

19 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

@joe90 we used this guy and found his services to be very professional, efficient and expeditious. No complaints at all, so hopefully you will have a similar experience. 

Yes, he was recommended by someone on this site, so far he has been very good indeed.