Triple glazing

26 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Morning all, can anybody point me at the things to look for with a triple glazed unit

for example, minimum gaps between panes, gas, no gas?  Low e ?  

Have looked at at a few cheapies that are 40mm units, this I think is a bit small, 

what ya think. 

the optimum gap between panes of glass is about 16mm so typically 4, 16,4,16,4 = 44mm

Our 3G units have the middle and inner panes as low E glass and all 3 panes are safety glass and low iron. I believe it's important in a 3G unit that the middle pane is toughened because of the unequal thermal stresses.

Other things to look out for also apply to 2G units ie whether the gap is argon filled and whether the unit uses super spacers. 

• Like 2

Interestingly we have some 6-16-4-16-6 units and they are notably poorer, thermally, than the 4-20-4-20-4  units, enough that we can feel the difference stood next to them in cold weather.  All our glazing is SGG Planitherm, argon filled, with two low e coated internal panes.  One thing I very much wished I'd done is specify a much lower inward IR  transmittance glass for the outer pane, definitely not the low iron glass we have, which lets through loads of unwanted heat, so much so that I've had to apply solar reflective film to it. 

• Like 2