Show us your temperatures

AliG

36°C outside

25.5°C upstairs (interestingly, this is very slightly cooler than it was yesterday)

Not sure about downstairs, as I don't have a working thermometer here (just brought the upstairs one downstairs and am letting it stabilise). It's a lot cooler than upstairs - I guess it's around 21-22°C, but feels cooler because I have my bare feet on the concrete floor. I'd be curious to know the floor temperature - must get my 1-wire system working again!  

When the kids come in from being out in warm weather, they walk in the front door and lie on the concrete in the hall to cool down. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, AdamSee said:

Although it hot here in the office. I just keep thinking how bad is must be at some of our suppliers. Foundry's and industrial painters can both expect to see the thermometer to hit 50oc pretty easily.

All day today there's been a 15 tonne digger operating just over the road from me, digging up the old trout farm ponds.  The guy's been at it non-stop, and frankly I don't know how he manages it.

2 minutes ago, jack said:

walk in the front door and lie on the concrete in the hall to cool down.

My sister probably still does that when she gets in, but usually the hot pipe under the bathroom floor.

Many a time I found her.

Just now, JSHarris said:

All day today there's been a 15 tonne digger operating just over the road from me, digging up the old trout farm ponds.  The guy's been at it non-stop, and frankly I don't know how he manages it.

£50/hour

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Modern machine with aircon in the cab?  Well combine harvesters have it so why not?

Phew....worst day of the year to be indoors....

I usually complain about running my kids about but not tonight........2 hours in air conditioned luxury

Temp25jul19.jpg

Edited by Rob99

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Modern machine with aircon in the cab?  Well combine harvesters have it so why not?

I'll pop out later and take a look.  I have a feeling it's an older JCB model from a brief look at it when it was unloaded a few weeks ago.

23 minutes ago, Rob99 said:

I usually complain about running my kids about but not tonight........2 hours in air conditioned luxury

My wife just Facetimed me from the car. I did ask if she was just sitting there to cool down.

Re lying on the concrete floor, for the last few weeks our tiled floors have felt pretty warm, the wooden floors even more so. They really seem to absorb heat.

I did discover one thing at the weekend. For a while I have had a niggling feeling that one of the downstairs UFH circuits was always on, even though it was switched off, as I sometime felt that the floor was warmer. I had some spare time so got out the Flir One and sure enough I could see the circuit was warm in the floor and the pipes were warm at the manifold. As I was looking at it a pump clicked on, I think to send hot water to the pool. Just then the flow gauge bounced on this circuit. I checked it out and the actuator was not clicked 100% into place, we are talking maybe just 1mm out on one side. This seemed to be enough to allow hot water to flow around the circuit when pumps were running elsewhere.

I found this on Sunday night, so I will be checking if the loose actuator was the issue when I get home. Hopefully it will save a little bit on the gas bill.

I often get the IR camera out when it is very windy as it was on Sunday. Not an issue today, but I continue to find small holes not properly sealed up.

Of note I checked our gas consumption last week and it was about 20% lower than normal. Perhaps the incoming water temp is a little higher and this is cutting down on hot water costs. The higher temps in the house will also reduce standing losses.

Edited by AliG

2 hours ago, jack said:

25.5°C upstairs (interestingly, this is very slightly cooler than it was yesterday)

Not sure about downstairs, as I don't have a working thermometer here (just brought the upstairs one downstairs and am letting it stabilise). It's a lot cooler than upstairs - I guess it's around 21-22°C, but feels cooler because I have my bare feet on the concrete floor. I'd be curious to know the floor temperature - must get my 1-wire system working again!  

Interesting.

The thermometer seems to have stabilised at 22.9°C. Downstairs is therefore only 2.6°C cooler than upstairs, but subjectively it feels like an awful lot more. I suspect this is partly because the radiant heat off the walls and ceilings upstairs make it feel subjectively hotter, whereas the cold concrete floors make it feel subjectively cool downstairs.

In any event, I'm about to walk half a mile to the pub. Shouldn't be any problem working up a thirst!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jack said:

.... I suspect this is partly because the radiant heat off the walls and ceilings upstairs make it feel subjectively hotter, whereas the cold concrete floors make it feel subjectively cool downstairs.

I think you're probably right.  Since we've had the air con running upstairs, we've noticed that it has been feeling colder day on day, even though the air temperature has stayed much the same.  An hour or so ago we were chatting about this and agreed that last night felt a bit too chilly, despite the air con having been set to 1° higher than the night before.  Tonight we're going to increase the temperature by another 1° and see how that feels.  My gut feeling is that it's just taken a long time for the walls, floor and ceiling to cool down a bit, and that we "feel cold" when we're surrounded by cool surfaces.

The target bedroom temperature is now 21°C on the air con controller, which seems to over-read by about 1°, so with luck we should end up with a true room temperature of around 20°C.  Downstairs has warmed up very slightly through the day, and is currently around 21.7°C, which feels fine.  It does feel like walking into an oven going out though the (South facing)  front door, though.  Even the door handle inside is pretty hot, from heat conducted from outside.

10 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I think you're probably right.  Since we've had the air con running upstairs, we've noticed that it has been feeling colder day on day, even though the air temperature has stayed much the same.  An hour or so ago we were chatting about this and agreed that last night felt a bit too chilly, despite the air con having been set to 1° higher than the night before.  Tonight we're going to increase the temperature by another 1° and see how that feels.  My gut feeling is that it's just taken a long time for the walls, floor and ceiling to cool down a bit, and that we "feel cold" when we're surrounded by cool surfaces.

The target bedroom temperature is now 21°C on the air con controller, which seems to over-read by about 1°, so with luck we should end up with a true room temperature of around 20°C.  Downstairs has warmed up very slightly through the day, and is currently around 21.7°C, which feels fine.  It does feel like walking into an oven going out though the (South facing)  front door, though.  Even the door handle inside is pretty hot, from heat conducted from outside.

@JSHarris if you are doing airbnb count me in sounds blissful

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, lizzie said:

woofer in his cooler coat.... great piece of kit wish they did them for humans. dry cool dog.... damp hot owner!

9BA1F127-EC65-4958-8299-2C82EFAC61DE.jpeg

Go to decathlon, get those large beach towels that you wear to get changed in. Soak in water, throw into the freezer for an hour. Prepare for shocking, but satisfying cold.

• Like 1

The day has just kept getting hotter here. It seems to have peaked at 30 degrees which is VERY hot for up here.  Still far far too hot to open the windows. 24 inside upstairs now.

Pleasant 17 and sunny on Shetland, wish we were still there.

• Like 1