Beating Lindab into shape.

My guttering arrived with a moderate dent in one of the down-spouts. This was replaced, and drainage superstore kindly did not pick up the damaged pipe.

How can I repair the dent in the original tube? The dent is about a meter from the end.

I've tried

• using a hand cramp to squeeze it - useless, just puts extra 'flats' into the tube
  • using a Spanish windlass to throttle it into shape - useless, I'm not strong enough
  • trying to pop the dent back out  from inside with a bit of wood - useless
  • praying - useless
  • swearing - useless but satisfying
  • posting on Build Hub - it's up to you dear reader: useless, or just the ticket?

TIA,

Ian

Any half decent panel beater could do it with a couple of spoons and a hammer: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/items/?_nkw=panel+beating+spoon&_sacat=&_ex_kw=&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_sop=12&_fpos=&_fspt=1&_sadis=&LH_CAds=

Not an easy skill to master, though.  The hard bit is making sure that you don't stretch the metal whilst trying to get the dent out, as although you can get it back in shape with a shrinking hammer it's not easy and means more time getting the surface looking decent again.

23 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Turn it round so the dent faces the wall.

That would mean the the seam faces forward ?First thing I thought of...

21 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Cut it off.

To make it fit the space available, I had to cut 390mm off ; which leaves the dent in exactly the wrong place. 

17 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Why bother, to much time on your hands?

Yeah, that's the one! ?

26 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Any half decent panel beater could do it with a couple of spoons and a hammer (...) 

Mate of mine was a panel beater. Watching him work was a real treat. He worked on the production side of the Concord wing. Very gifted bloke. I'm 50,000 hours short of experience though. 

20 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

can't you cut a join with coupler as @PeterStarck says

I think that's the only thing left to do. 

PS Lindab stuff 'feels' very nice to work with. Very simple. Gonna need some touch up paint though ?

Thanks for the advice 

ok --don,t think any panel beater i know would try to get a dent out of a pipe 1 meter inside from end.

heres how you do it 

gat a round piece of wood the correct dia for inside it make an internal taper on it from both ends 

split into 4 or 6 sections along its length 

make up two taper sections that can be used to force the segments outwards -thread one of them and you can use a rod to make them act like a wedge 

make 2 0r 3 grooves in the sections for elastic bands to hold it together  while you slide it in --then expand it and push out the dent 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/113750110783  like this 

turn it on your lathe the right size

Edited by scottishjohn

3 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I'll pop down to my mate and have him run a set of mandrills (right term?) up John.

Thanks

A mandrill is similar to a baboon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrill

A mandrel is a tool: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrel

Still reckon that dent could be taken out OK with a set of long spoons.  I've beaten out dents on rally car exhaust systems and bash plates a fair few times in my youth.

Thinking like Mr Bean I would go to a local battlefield and find a cannon ball that is just a running fit in the undamaged end. Then arrange a device to fire the ball down the pipe this will then force the dent out in one pass and you might like to point the pipe at some unwanted items and sort them out at the same time.

2 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Thinking like Mr Bean I would go to a local battlefield and find a cannon ball that is just a running fit in the undamaged end. Then arrange a device to fire the ball down the pipe this will then force the dent out in one pass and you might like to point the pipe at some unwanted items and sort them out at the same time.

The way that big tube benders keep tube round whilst being bent is with a sphere on a rod that is held at the bend point, and moved out as the bend progresses.

@Triassic Lindab : normal for Germany ?

When I look at all the hard work Ed ( @Construction Channel) puts into his channel, and his build, I can't help but admire his energy. The man fizzes with the stuff.

If I sit down at tea time, it's not long before I'm dozing. 

@dpmiller, now that's elegant. Elegant. Yer a genius 

5 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

a kangaroo breaking wind will do what exactly?

Yes, unfortunate name (think 'roof art' rather than 'roo fart') but their stuff is, so far as I can see, practically identical to Lindab and considerably less expensive.