Roof Slates weird after Velux installation... ???

Repsac

Hello all,

I am looking for an opinion on a job that was performed by a loft conversion company and the way how they put the roof slates back together around the new velux windows. There are gaps I see between the slates and it does not look pretty as they are not organised nicely as the original ones before the velux installation.

I have attached 7 pictures, picture 2,3 and 4 are the most ugly and these are from the front of the property, so any potential future buyer of our house may raise few eye-browses and questions like: "what's wrong with the roof ?"

Just wanted your opinion on this overall roof job... ? Do you think I am eligible to having this repaired to its nicely done ? Is it possible with the type of roof and type of roof tiles/slates an type of window to have this done perfectly ? Is there any risk from what you can see of water coming in if this is left as is ?

Regards,

Repsac

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Very poor 

They won’t last a winter The Velux flashing can cause the slates sit at a slight angle But you can usually get round this by sorting through the new slates for  ones that sit nice 

It looks like little care has been taken The gutters around the velux should be even and clear 

I would be concerned about how much care they have taken fitting the flashings if they are going to leave the slates looking so messy 

You need to get them back and see what they have to say 

Thanks guys,  it's not good new as i expected. What about pictures 5 and 6, these are from the other side where there is scaffolding, and it look tiny bit better then the other side. Do you think there is a risk of water coming in if left untreated ?

I think they have put the brackets in the wrong position for slates. If you put the brackets on the correct position the window is recessed low enough so the tiles don't kick. If you put the brackets at the other fixing points then the window sits higher for normal tiles.

Watch these installation videos and see the difference. 

https://www.velux.co.uk/professional/tools/installer/installation-videos

The good thing is if you take the sash out it can all be redone from the inside of the house so they don't need on to the roof again.

Hi PeterW, I honestly don't know what sarking board or battens is, sorry I work with computers :) I tried googling it but to no avail.

Declan52, thanks for the videos, I see what you mean... 

I did highlight the issue it to the workers, they said it's still work in progress and they are waiting for some clips and stuff and that it will all be nice and flat in the end, which I am not convinced at all....  ??

my guess looking how much the frame of velux is showing there are no batons --just tiles nailed to sarking 

If it had been on cross batons then you would fit velux first,then batons round it  and you would have a perfect finish 

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

I think they have put the brackets in the wrong position for slates.

I agree with @Declan52 about brackets in wrong position, velux too high in roof, kicking slates up.

21 hours ago, joe90 said:

I agree with @Declan52 about brackets in wrong position, velux too high in roof, kicking slates up.

But down the sides they just have soakers that between the slates so even if the window is set a bit high they should still work without kicking them up.

43 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

But down the sides they just have soakers that between the slates so even if the window is set a bit high they should still work without kicking them up.

With dead flat slates even the thickness of slate soakers will kick them out of line a bit. But I still recon the velux is too high in the roof.

I used traditional slate and if laid correctly there is no reason for kick up.   I only left a 20mm gap between the flashing and the slates but have no trees, and due to its coastal exposure there is no moss growth. If I lived in a less exposed location I would have made the gap bigger. 

42EC630C-2304-46EA-82D5-B6A7D2C99E56.jpeg

On 24/07/2019 at 16:19, PeterW said:

How have they refitted the slates as these two are upside down ....! Look at the nail holes in the circled slates. 

7E364AA4-D7EA-43A4-BA0B-08B9FA4A22D4.thumb.jpeg.2d8dd2313730ca0af4ed2ee39222976d.jpeg

Slates are not upside down those holes are for the copper rivets that secure the bottom edge of the slate. Poor roofer if he does not know how to fit these especially in cut slates such as around skylight, probably at the verges too. All needs redoing otherwise roof will last no time at all.

Look at the close up shots of other slates. Slates are normally nailed twice towards the edge not once at the very top edge and man made slates normally riveted too. Looks like rivets may be missing in general roof area too as the slates are too far apart to secure the rivet.