Single Room Air Conditioner or similar

Ferdinand

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

it is reported on the grapevine at the local timber merchant that Appliances Direct who are 4 miles away have temporarily hiked the prices of their portable air con units.

No idea if it’s true, and not going to find out.

Ferdinand

They would be daft not to, really.  Bound to be a spike in demand during very hot weather, and if demand increases so can prices.  It might smack a bit of profiteering (which it is, but all businesses have to make a profit) but with (presumably) a limited supply/stock of the things then it would seem to make business sense to take advantage now.  I bet they don't sell many come December...

3 hours ago, lizzie said:

@Ferdinand if you want cheap then these are a bargain but may take a week for delivery and being water based you do need to be vigilant so as not to let bugs grow but as a temp solution....

https://www.gogroopie.com/deal/15i2f5c1b0u/2-in-1 Portable Air Cooling Unit with Remote Control

That I believe is an evaporative cooler?

It reminds me of an aircon unit we had in an office years ago.  It was an all in one monoblock.  It didn't have big ducts through the wall.  Instead it took in mains water and put the extracted heat into that, it was in escence an air to water heat pump.  When the tank of water got to a certain temperature, it opened a valve and dumped it down the drain and refilled the tank from cold mains water.

I suspect some water byelaw has outlawed that type of unit by now.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Would work OK with water from your burn, though!

As an aside, how difficult would it be to plumb a plate heat exchanger into your UFH and feed it with water pumped to and from your burn?

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That I believe is an evaporative cooler?

It reminds me of an aircon unit we had in an office years ago.  It was an all in one monoblock.  It didn't have big ducts through the wall.  Instead it took in mains water and put the extracted heat into that, it was in escence an air to water heat pump.  When the tank of water got to a certain temperature, it opened a valve and dumped it down the drain and refilled the tank from cold mains water.

not plumbed in....they are legal here

18 hours ago, lizzie said:

I am liking the tower one it would fit very neatly in a corner of my room but I cannot find either a price or a spec that says how many sqm room size it suitable for....do you find that info somewhere?

My feeling is that it would do it, but that that would depend on everything else being equal.

And I do not know if that is the case in your house.

Ferdinand

I have just set up my portable air conditioner in our bedroom.

To "solve" the problem of where to put the warm air extract hose, I have removed the cowl from the en-suite mvhr extract and shoved the pipe up there for the MVHR to extract.  I wonder if that will cause any unexpected issues?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I have just set up my portable air conditioner in our bedroom.

To "solve" the problem of where to put the warm air extract hose, I have removed the cowl from the en-suite mvhr extract and shoved the pipe up there for the MVHR to extract.  I wonder if that will cause any unexpected issues?

Yes, I also thought this might be a good solution, Terry thinks it will upset the balance of the MVHR. So I will be interested to find out how it's working.

43 minutes ago, JanetE said:

Yes, I also thought this might be a good solution, Terry thinks it will upset the balance of the MVHR. So I will be interested to find out how it's working.

i have a T who temporarily disconnects the tumble dryer vent pipe, and uses that.

F

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JanetE said:

There is no obvious ill effect.

I have just done some measuring.

Exhaust air temperature from the portable aircon 38 degrees, now going up into the en-suite mvhr extract vent.

Outside air temperature at the east end of the house where the mvhr vents are, now just about in the shade 24 degrees.

mvhr exhaust temperature 27 degrees, mvhr supply temperature measured at room terminal 25 degrees.

Bedroom temperature just about staying at 23 degrees, same as first thing this morning. so cooler has stopped the room temperature rising due to thermal gain.

But it is cooler outside today, if it drops much more I will be opening the windows.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

There is no obvious ill effect.

I have just done some measuring.

Exhaust air temperature from the portable aircon 38 degrees, now going up into the en-suite mvhr extract vent.

Outside air temperature at the east end of the house where the mvhr vents are, now just about in the shade 24 degrees.

mvhr exhaust temperature 27 degrees, mvhr supply temperature measured at room terminal 25 degrees.

Bedroom temperature just about staying at 23 degrees, same as first thing this morning. so cooler has stopped the room temperature rising due to thermal gain.

But it is cooler outside today, if it drops much more I will be opening the windows.

That's v interesting.  What model of AC unit have you got? Presumably you have some kind of connector to attach to the MVHR outlet.

I do think that this would be a viable option for our problem as it's only the one room at the top of the house that really gets a bit too hot.  I know the portable AC units are noisy but we really cannot fit a proper unit such as Jeremy's.  With the benefit of hindsight it would have been a trivial job to put in a couple of access pipes through the wall during the build as it is easy enough to fill them in if they are not used!

The one I bought came from CPC in one of their special offers about 20 years ago. So I doubt it is still a current model.  And yes it is noisy.  The outlet comes with a semi rigid expanding hose and duct tape forms the temporary seal to the mvhr vent.  This is just a temporary fix for now.

I had not anticipated the need for cooling here so had made no provision for it. But thankfully our ASHP does cooling mode and there is an easy pipe route from the plant room to the loft to run pipes for 2 fan coil units which will be the eventual solution for bedroom cooling, though maybe not this year.

• Like 1

Probably wrapping up.

So I bought one of these design-led air-redistributors from B&Q ("Evaporative Cooler"), which looks like a cross between a Triffid and something else. It even twists left and right. They call it an air conditioner, which it is not.

https://www.diy.com/departments/blyss-white-45-3-speed-variable-air-conditioner/1270235_BQ.prd

evaporative-air-cooler.thumb.jpg.cb009585f4e93b1b2a01d7f6260fce0a.jpg

Comes with nice features like a sleep function which switches it randomly to prevent constant noise, and very good at keeping the place cool once it is cool.

Also comes with a basic design flaw in that the water is added through a detachable door on the back at the bottom, and the only way to empty it is to run it for hours or to turn the whole caboodle upside down outside.

So it is going back, and I will find one with a jug unit that can be taken out and filled under the tap, like a normal dehumidifier.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand