Budget Passive House kits.

K78

That looks like our house build system. Insulated timber frame, racking and air tightness panels on the inside, wood fibre and render cladding.

Ours was designed by a local architectural engineer and built by a local firm of builders, and finished mostly by me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, K78 said:

The ph15 system looks as though it was developed from the construction used for our portal timber I-beam frame erected in 2010. Our house frame was the second of that design built in the country. The frame which consisted of the sole plate, frames, racking and external rafters along with erection was just over £36000. We used Isoquick insulated foundations and Icynene wall and roof insulation along with external Rockwool insulation.

PA130010.thumb.JPG.46de2b3069199550c1c78f964cf4ab95.JPG

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patrick said:

@PeterStarck

It is the follow up company as far as I understand. With the difference if yours costing approx. 36k, they would charge you more in the region of 90k. Had a quote and few emails forward and backward with them but dismissed it really quick.

Is that including foam glass strip foundations, insulation and windows?

49 minutes ago, K78 said:

Is that including foam glass strip foundations, insulation and windows?

@oldkettle
 quote was a rough guess of what Peter might have to pay for his with that company. Not my quote. Mine was without foundations but with windows and insulation. It came in at somewhere around 120-130k if I remember correctly. No internal partition and no finishing. Hence why I stayed clear of it. I have 160sqm so it might sound OK. But the bits I could check itemised(windows and doors) where massively overpriced and around double the price I can buy them for on the same quality so that put me off massively.

In general I think the system is great, that's why I'm going to do it, just stick build in place.

@PeterStarck

Can report more about the ins and outs of the system in general as he was/is using it (check his blog)

Edited by Patrick

3 minutes ago, Patrick said:

In general I think the system is great, that's why I'm going to do it, just stick build in place.

Glad you're still planning to do it. My frame price was essentially all the wood work including internal studwork, metal web joists and upstairs 22mm caberdek.

14 minutes ago, Patrick said:

@oldkettle
 quote was a rough guess of what Peter might have to pay for his with that company. Not my quote. Mine was without foundations but with windows and insulation. It came in at somewhere around 120-130k if I remember correctly. No internal partition and no finishing. Hence why I stayed clear of it. I have 160sqm so it might sound OK. But the bits I could check itemised(windows and doors) where massively overpriced and around double the price I can buy them for on the same quality so that put me off massively.

@PeterStarck

Can report more about the ins and outs of the system in general as he was/is using it (check his blog)

I think I’ll give them a miss. 

28 minutes ago, Patrick said:

@oldkettle

Thank you, @Patrick 

Do you remember how much of this amount windows and doors were? Just trying to figure out the price of the insulated shell. 

I did read Peter's blog, I would just prefer prefab for faster construction. 

1 hour ago, oldkettle said:

Thank you, @Patrick 

Do you remember how much of this amount windows and doors were? Just trying to figure out the price of the insulated shell. 

I did read Peter's blog, I would just prefer prefab for faster construction. 

Yes. Prefab makes a lot of sense. Just when they starting to get silly with the prices, it makes no sense then. I remember the doors and windows all being around the 25kmark together. That's katzbeck with passive certification. But when I asked, they wouldn't want to deliver frame without windows. Either theirs or no frame. But maybe that changed.

• Thanks 1

I wonder how much it would cost for a timber engineer to design a frame and then source everything yourself?

I have been told timberframe construction is easy and enjoyable with half decent joinery skills?

51 minutes ago, K78 said:

I wonder how much it would cost for a timber engineer to design a frame and then source everything yourself?

I have been told timberframe construction is easy and enjoyable with half decent joinery skills?

I ve done just that. SE designed the frame. Cost around 800£.  I'm not building yet, still stuck in demolition mode. So wouldn't be  able to tell on how enjoyable its going to be putting the frame up. I got a company that supplies the timber and they do really bare frame kits a well. (basically just the walls, no roof, no windows, no insulation ), but only as traditional frame, no portal frame. I wanted portal frame and decided to just get materials from them.