Earth bonding Copper incoming mains with all plastic internal plumbing

Jody

maybe me

--but the pictures seem to show the meter is set in concrete --that cannot be correct -it should be in a meter chamber ,so it can be replaced easily   by simply turning off the toby and uncoupling  the pipes without any digging

it also looks like it is not deep enough --is that 450mm under the ground?

that will not be to spec --so while you are at it get that sorted  to water board spec as  well 

if i am talking crap ,then sure   a plumber here will put me right 

Edited by scottishjohn

The meter just plugs in to the bottom of the Toby - it is a bayonet or thread fitting from memory. 

To  the right of the meter is a plastic hex nut - that should have a black plastic key on it, and it isolates the meter so that’s the flow through the unit. 

Dug trench now between water meter and house, practically the whole run was in copper, just about a foot of mdpe where it connects to the meter. It wasn’t in any ducting etc.

I’m running new blue 25mm mdpe all the way into the kitchen now, with a plastic stop cock. So won’t be any earthing required, plus I should get better flow now.

The meter is in a proper meter chamber, it’s just concrete around the top of the chamber cover, so that’s all ok.

Its not that deep the meter, but it’s a bit awkward in this location as there is solid bedrock about 450mm below ground.

Im running the replacement mdpe slightly below where the old copper pipe was and above the bedrock. Maybe not as deep as you would do it in a new house, but it’s at least as deep as the old one was and I don’t think there had been any problems with freezing in the past.

Oh btw, the input/output pipes from the meter/chamber, were not as I thought. The pipe coming out the meter side of the chamber was the input, the pipe coming out the valve side of the chamber was the output to the house.

thanks for all your input everyone

Jody

76F03313-8783-4B54-BFF1-6364074D4922.jpeg

FB55309D-A510-4844-BAE1-C15F829F4FD1.jpeg

E385D083-55AC-4B9A-AEFC-1386393556A8.jpeg

• Like 1