What are my legal obligations?

gc100

Hi,

I'm getting close to being able to make a start on my plot. I'm paying contractors directly and materials and basically doing time and money setup. One contractor will be project managing the build.

I've been started to think about site security, and I'm presuming some for a insurance. I see in other threads mentioned of 'Welfare' units, toilets etc

What are my legal obligations for the site?

Any help of pointers much appreciated.

Several points.

1. You need to fence the site.

2. Put up a standard warning sign.

3. Setup a portaloo or make alternative arrangements local to the site.

4. First aid kit.

5. Get site insurance

6. Get enough hard hats / safety shoes and hi viz vests for your team and insist contractors comply- the standard warning sign refers. 

7.  Fire extinguisher(s)

I think your primary contractor picks up the H&S obligations under the CDM regulations (risk assessments etc), but check their understanding to make sure that you're all on the same page. 

Thanks all. Regarding site fencing - the site is located in a middle of a farm and the only access is behind a locked gate drive - is it still necessary?

Is the sign-in book law/H/S obligatory?

I will appoint one chap the principle contractor and it seems pretty straight forward in regard to CDM they are responsible for all HS no? I do not get involved.

Everything else looks sensible :-)

Thanks

15 minutes ago, gc100 said:

Thanks all. Regarding site fencing - the site is located in a middle of a farm and the only access is behind a locked gate drive - is it still necessary?

Is the sign-in book law/H/S obligatory?

Fencing not obligatory - but worth it ...!! Stops you falling in a ditch or a wagon reversing into your footings (ask me how I know....)

Sign in book is especially useful if you have trades on a day rate to validate invoices. 

• Like 1

I think it is worth having a site induction where you include site specific risks. Get each site worker to read it and sign to say they have. I also ask for evidence they have received H & S training, such as a photocopy of their CSCS card.

12 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

7.  Fire extinguisher(s)

If you have these you may be obliged to have them tested and certified. They are also difficult to dispose of. I have about 8 water extinguishers F.O.C to collector in Lewes if anyone wants them.