ASHP versus PV

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I don't have a mortgage so didn't bother with a warranty.

It's the Baumit,com render system, very similar to K rend, first coat is mixed from powder and lime based and a glass fibre mesh embedded in the first coat. the top coat is pre mixed in tubs with a primer applied before the top coat goes on.

Dave, I might be misremembering or confusing the situation with someone else, but did you have an issue with the bottom edge of the render somewhere on your build?

3 hours ago, andyr87 said:

We have been quoted circa £3500 for 8 no 1.7 x 1m solar PV panels (integrated to roof) which should provide 2.4kW of energy. I doubt very much we will generate enough to export at least 50% back to the grid also being based on the west coast of Scotland!

That looks expensive, even for integrated. I think.

But I do not have reasonable prices for those in my head.

Anyone?

I think that the money should go on insulation first, but that you may well be able to save the difference if you buy well, or on something else, and get both. Detail to be sweated ? .

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

What extra space?  A monoblock ASHP is an outside unit. Very little inside, a pump and some controls.  but you do need a hot water tank, which in any event is FAR better than most combi boilers.

If you think you might need cooling then an ASHP makes even  more sense. Install one or more Fan Coil Units and appropriate valves and it can do cooling as well as heating.

yep its the the hot water tank.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Personally I think it's wise to invest in better insulation and airtightness, than to try to fiddle SAP by adding stuff like PV that will inevitably need replacement at some future date.  I've never, ever, heard of anyone regretting spending money on better insulation.

Worth remembering in this hot weather that insulation works both ways.  It keeps heat out in hot weather every bit as well as it keeps heat in during the heating season.

+1 to this. Recent temperatures have meant that a recent one I did that has 150mm of blown bead in the walls plus 25mm of PUR internally has stayed at a really cool 22c max with no MVHR running. Roof insulation is 200mm of Earthwool plus 25/50mm of PUR and again, its room in roof and has stayed cool.

Over the winter, the heating cost via ASHP and UFH was around £40/month.

Dave, can you give me a ballpark figure please per square metre for that sort of render system? K - rend on block I've been told to expect £45-£50 over here, which seems a lot. Hence why I'm looking at Cedral cladding!

JS I hear what you are saying. Decisions to be made! 

I've just discovered that Ecology BS don't need a warranty certificate, which might be a game changer!

2 hours ago, jack said:

Dave, I might be misremembering or confusing the situation with someone else, but did you have an issue with the bottom edge of the render somewhere on your build?

Yes. I never found out the cause but the plasterer re did that bit free of charge and it has not blown again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davejura said:

Dave, can you give me a ballpark figure please per square metre for that sort of render system? K - rend on block I've been told to expect £45-£50 over here, which seems a lot. Hence why I'm looking at Cedral cladding!

Unfortunately not.  All the wood fibre board and render materials were lumped in the price I paid to the builders that built the shell and were not itemised.

I paid the plasterer that did the rendering as by that point I was running out of money and had to lay off the builder (amicably thankfully)

Well we decided to go with an ASHP. The SAP calc man did his stuff, and our predicted energy efficiency has now dropped from 84 (band B) to 76 (band C) , and our CO2 emissions have increased! But apparently it's a pass!! ? Totally baffled now!! Anyone shed any light on to this?

Because house is now all 'electric'. SAP rating is based on energy cost. Electricity as main 'heating' fuel is expensive so SAP rating suffers. Electricity has high embodied CO2 (from legacy coal fired power stations - will change in next version of SAP) so CO2 emissions will be higher. Efficiency of ASHP counters the above to some degree.

Heat pumps in general make compliance with the Regs easy.

3 hours ago, ADLIan said:

Because house is now all 'electric'. SAP rating is based on energy cost. Electricity as main 'heating' fuel is expensive so SAP rating suffers. Electricity has high embodied CO2 (from legacy coal fired power stations - will change in next version of SAP) so CO2 emissions will be higher. Efficiency of ASHP counters the above to some degree.

Heat pumps in general make compliance with the Regs easy.

Can you estimate what the effect of that change might be?

One of my Buildhub holiday projects is an Ebook called EPCs  for Landlords, and it would be useful to be able to give a steer.

I would estimate a fairly major improvement of 4-6 points based on the better pollution mix of electricity vs gas compared with what it was. Also they will want to talk up ASHPs and so may slant it a little.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

This is our new calculation for predicted CO2 figures using an ASHP .

Target Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (TER) 23.15 kg/m²
Dwelling Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (DER) 21.19 kg/m²       Pass

This was the one using a gas boiler and radiators

Target Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (TER) 11.91 kg/m²
Dwelling Carbon Dioxide Emission Rate (DER) 17.98 kg/m²   Fail

Just doesn't make any sense to me at all I'm afraid and am totally stumped as to what to do now. The SAP man is suggesting keeping the gas system and putting in a solar PV. Just can't see the benefit of that over on ASHP in the West of Scotland, beside ticking boxes!

5 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Can you estimate what the effect of that change might be?

You can download the 5 minute generation by fuel type from Gridwatch.

Then add in the Tonnes CO2/MWh for each fuel type.  You could then try extrapolating into the near future to get an idea of what to expect.

I think there are also a number of government reports on the DECC site. They have proved to be pretty robust.