Preemptive Strike

NSS

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, NSS said:

Quick update. Active cooling via the UFH is now sorted. All we need now is for summer to return so we can try it!

There is smoke coming from a chimney down the road from us.  Someone is feeling cold and lit the stove in August (or they have elected a new Pope)

We have shut the windows, no need for a night purge just now.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, NSS said:

All we need now is for summer to return so we can try it!

I guess Hampshire is just far enough west of us to make a difference to the weather. It's been 23/24C for the last few days and we haven't had any significant rain for what seems like ages. We were expecting a deluge yesterday based on the forecast and all we got were a couple of showers lasting about 15 minutes each. We've only had three spells of heavy rain in the last three months and the ground is like rock. I've got some trenches to dig so hoping we get some rain next week.

39 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I guess Hampshire is just far enough west of us to make a difference to the weather. It's been 23/24C for the last few days and we haven't had any significant rain for what seems like ages. We were expecting a deluge yesterday based on the forecast and all we got were a couple of showers lasting about 15 minutes each. We've only had three spells of heavy rain in the last three months and the ground is like rock. I've got some trenches to dig so hoping we get some rain next week.

Bit of a difference here, ~10 miles West of Salisbury.  We've had a fair bit of rain this week, and right now it's blowing a hoolie, winds gusting up around 45 - 50mph.

We had a really soggy day yesterday but nowhere near the wind that was forecast It barely got to 15 knots at Inverness airport.  By sunset yesterday the burn was well in spate and almost up to the highest I am comfortable with, and it was still raining.

This morning the burn is down, the sun is out and wind at the airport is currently 1 knot.

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

The Solent area has it's own micro-climate. Was wet and windy all day yesterday but has been gusting to over 50 knots since the early hours with intermittent downpours. Definitely a day for indoor jobs!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ProDave said:

There is smoke coming from a chimney down the road from us.

Have used the oil boiler for a quick burst in the morning for a few days now. It ran 9.4% of the time yesterday. Admittedly I've had the thermostat set relatively high as I'm a bit warm adapted and didn't feel that well and yesterday was very dark and damp which makes it feel chillier and also very windy which cools the house a bit. Outside temperature at Wick airport varied between 11 and 14°C.

• 3 weeks later...

A little late with this update but we had three days last week when the outdoor temp reached 31C so I ran the floor cooling (15C input) for 4-5 hours on ech of those days. Seemed to work well (combined with the SageGlass) and kept it very pleasant indoors with the floor surface temperature hovering between 20 and 21C.

Meanwhile, my boiler runs [¹] and outside air temperature [²] for the last week.  The boiler was running 5.6% of the time.

[¹] For space heating, sensed by measuring the temperature and rate of change of temperature on the flow to the radiator in my study. Typically it also runs for about a quarter of an hour each day to heat DHW.

[²] At Wick airport, 30km away but at a similar altitude and distance from the sea.

last-week.png