Insulating 5" pipes - worth doubling up

Sorry for filing the forum with my topics tonight, I've just reached the point where I finally turned on the system tonight :) I will be submitting a full detailed end-to-end project post with photo's sometime soon, to save people re-asking what I've been boring you with.

So, I grossly over-ordered from BPC, as I knew I couldn't easily return anything because I'm in Jersey.   I have 10 linear metres of 5" pipe to insulate with their 25mm foil-covered itchy glass fibre, and a total of about 5m of pipe to wrap.

Is it worth doubling, or even tripling the insulation around the pipes?  The outside temperature never gets below zero here, outside gets up to about 33 occasionally.  I remember someone, maybe @joe90 doubling up, but cannot find that post and reasons why now.

Thanks
Tim

Are these the pipes going outside? That foil cover insulation was no good in my case, I tried double wrapping and closing all gaps with aluminium tape but it still filled with water through condensation after a few months.

Just now, ragg987 said:

Are these the pipes going outside? That foil cover insulation was no good in my case, I tried double wrapping and closing all gaps with aluminium tape but it still filled with water through condensation after a few months.

Yes they are.  That's a little concerning, how did you resolve that?!

Armacell Armaflex Sheet Insulation and a tin of their adhesive. Slightly fiddly to apply round pipe bends as you have to cut a circular shape, but 2 winters in and no issues at all. I used 19mm thick sheet, I think you can get away with less.

11 hours ago, phatboy said:

I remember someone, maybe @joe90 doubling up, but cannot find that post and reasons why now.

No not me, all my pipes are in a warm loft so not an issue, although I did get a little condensation on the incoming flexible pipe and just wrapped it in rockwall which has done the trick.

• Thanks 1