How can I stop birds coming down my flue?

This is the flue terminal for our WBS, an ordinary "China Man's Hat" type to stop rainwater coming down the flue.

flue_pipe_2.thumb.jpg.7d24e3a11f34d906987caa1b97f2117d.jpg

A few weeks back we were woken up by "a noise downstairs"  It soon became clear a bird was in the flue, had gone all the way down and was on the baffle plate at the top of the stove.

The easiest way to get it our was dismantle the flue pipe out of the stove that meant digging out the fire cement.  On that occasion we got the bird, a starling, out alive.

Because we are not using the stove I had not re sealed the flue with fire cement.

Just back from holiday,  SWMBO says "why is there soot on top of the stove around the (unsealed) flue pipe?

This time we found a dead bird as we were obviously not around to get it out in time,

So we need to stop this keep happening.

All I can think is wrap the top of the terminal in chicken wire to reduce the size of opening?

they are available with mesh on them already - thats we put on.  Chicken mesh will work fine.  If it looks like a bodge then you may need to get a sheet of rel fine mesh and craft a better looking screen.

Just now, Pete said:

Talking of birds, we have a large amount of glass and so far I have moved about 7 dead birds that are not looking where they are going

Yup, our large “sun space “ (I don’t like the word conservatory) has been hit by various birds. 

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Yup, our large “sun space “ (I don’t like the word conservatory) has been hit by various birds. 

We had the same at another house when our daughter was aged about 8, when she saw what had happened with the dead bird she just said it should have looked where it was going!!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

All I can think is wrap the top of the terminal in chicken wire to reduce the size of opening?

We had the same problem with the oil boiler flue in the old bungalow. I wrapped stainless steel mesh around it, as @Onoff has suggested.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

This is the flue terminal for our WBS, an ordinary "China Man's Hat" type to stop rainwater coming down the flue.

flue_pipe_2.thumb.jpg.7d24e3a11f34d906987caa1b97f2117d.jpg

A few weeks back we were woken up by "a noise downstairs"  It soon became clear a bird was in the flue, had gone all the way down and was on the baffle plate at the top of the stove.

The easiest way to get it our was dismantle the flue pipe out of the stove that meant digging out the fire cement.  On that occasion we got the bird, a starling, out alive.

Because we are not using the stove I had not re sealed the flue with fire cement.

Just back from holiday,  SWMBO says "why is there soot on top of the stove around the (unsealed) flue pipe?

This time we found a dead bird as we were obviously not around to get it out in time,

So we need to stop this keep happening.

We have that but also the mesh round it.

Be careful that the one you buy says suitable for solid fuel - our first one was sold as such but it became apparent it was gas only and rotted out in about 11 months! The supplier gave us a new one FOC as he admitted it was not correct - but be aware!

Edited by Carrerahill

When we had this problem at our old house I made up a bird screen using the stainless steel strips taken out of the back of old windscreen wiper blades, and fixed them in place with stainless steel locking wire.  I did this not long after we moved in, back in 2000, and the thing still looked fine when we sold the house last year.