Low profile tumble dryer ducting

andyscotland

Hi,

In my new utility, I need to duct the tumble dryer to the outside. Unfortunately the layout means the duct needs to drop down and then across the wall behind the stacked dryer / washing machine. I want to minimise the depth to keep the appliances as close to the wall as possible. The total length of duct will be about 2.5m, with one 90 degree bend and potentially a pair of 45s to stagger the pipe away from the wall a bit once it gets past the appliances.

I see Manrose do a tumble dryer kit with 110 x 54 duct. However AFAICS that only gives 5940mm2 - about 25% smaller than the 7854mm2 of the 100mm round dryer outlet. I'm wondering if that's only OK for the short 300mm run they supply with the kit, but undersized for my purposes?

Would I be safer to use the 204 x 60 duct to get 12240mm2?

I also looked at the 25 x 225 extra-low-profile ducting, which only gives 5625mm2 - it would be great to use something that thin if I could get away with it, but I was a bit concerned such a narrow duct could trap lint / fluff quite easily....

+1 for getting a condenser dryer, but if you really want an externall vented unit then there are different rectangular duct sizes around.

At our last house I ducted the tumble dryer with that 110mm x 54mm rectangular ducting.  Seemed to work fine.  Our tumble dryer seemed to have a pretty powerful fan on the outlet, so the slightly smaller size of the rectangular duct didn't seem to cause any problems.  You can get wider slim rectangular duct if you want to try it.  I've seen 150mm x 70mm and 204mm x 60mm, but there are probably other sizes around too.

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Why not just buy a condenser dryer. Any excess heat that it gives of can be rerouted through a mhrv system so you get it back. Plus you aren't putting a hole in the fabric of your house.

Should have been clearer it's an existing, relatively new, dryer and only building a small utility extension and converting the garage so MHVR not really worthwhile. Definitely something I'd consider for a new build.

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

+1 for getting a condenser dryer, but if you really want an externall vented unit then there are different rectangular duct sizes around.

At our last house I ducted the tumble dryer with that 110mm x 54mm rectangular ducting.  Seemed to work fine.  Our tumble dryer seemed to have a pretty powerful fan on the outlet, so the slightly smaller size of the rectangular duct didn't seem to cause any problems.  You can get wider slim rectangular duct if you want to try it.  I've seen 150mm x 70mm and 204mm x 60mm, but there are probably other sizes around too.

Thanks @jsharris good to know the 110x54 worked ok for you.