Coffee machines

51 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

How long do these machines last.

My De Longhi bean to cup (does cappuccino too although I don’t often use that function) is 6 years old and has been fine but I don’t drink much coffee (1 or 2 cups a day max) so it doesn’t really get hammered. Personally I prefer a mild Starbucks coffee (which proves I’m not a real coffee drinker I guess) ?

Where do BHers get their coffee?

Personally I don't like Nespresso for green reasons - much prefer ESE pods, which are paper and can go on the compost heap, if I am using pods. In a pinch I can get one in my filter basket.

Mine come from a localish artisan / mail order coffee roaster that has been around since the 1920s who charge roughly £5-7.50 for 250g of beans they roast ground however you want and delivered free for £40+ orders. As I have it that aligns roughly with the high end of supermarket brands.

Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

SWMBO buys beans and grinds them herself to use in a cafetière.

I just buy ground coffee in a bag and use a Bialletti percolator.

All these individually packed things are just over priced and a waste of packaging plus you need a complicated machine to use them.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Personally I don't like Nespresso for green reasons - much prefer ESE pods, which are paper and can go on the compost heap, if I am using pods. In a pinch I can get one in my filter basket.

Mine come from a localish artisan / mail order coffee roaster that has been around since the 1920s who charge roughly £5-7.50 for 250g of beans they roast ground however you want and delivered free for £40+ orders. As I have it that aligns roughly with the high end of supermarket brands.

I subscribe to Dog & Hat. Every month, I get a box with four different bags of coffee. They can be from artisan roasteries anywhere in the UK - occasionally we even get one from Europe or North America. 

It's a long way from the cheapest way to buy coffee, but I really enjoy my coffee, and I don't have any other expensive habits. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We are now firmly into First World over privileged smug middle class territory.

Indeedy, but I’m with the guy on the video Steamy posted, tomatoes are not all the same ??. And having drunk proper coffee for a few years despite not being a bean snob by any stretch of the imagination (I tend to buy them from Aldi) I no longer like the taste of instant coffee when once upon a time I drank instant coffee all the time. 

On 21/07/2019 at 10:55, lizzie said:

Having been a Nespresso girl for more years than I care to remember I am flirting with a change.

Current machine needs replacing as its leaking....they seem to last about 4 years or so and I am on my third.

Before just getting a new one delivered with my capsules I have been looking at the coffee machine market which has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Bean to cup have moved on hugely and dropped in price considerably.   I don't want any fancy milk gadgets I rarely use milk in a coffee (just for visitors) and have developed a method of doing a mean latte without a problem.  I make short strong black coffee for myself and undoubtedly drink too much of it but it is my indulgence as I don't drink alcohol and we are all allowed one vice.

Options seem to be

New nespresso that takes regular capsules

New nespresso that takes new style Vertu capsules

Jura A1 bean to cup machine.....very stylish.

Anyone tried the Jura?

My advise would be to get away from the capsules, we had a Nespresso but the wastage associated did play on my mind and recycling scheme is no good really. This opens up your choices so much more. You might get a little 250g bag of some beans in a coffee shop to try or order in bulk but it just lets you get away from mass produced coffee roasts.

I buy 4-5Kg of coffee beans at a time now for about £25.00 and that lasts about 2-4 months depending on use, Covid increased consumption.

Bean to cup has so many benefits - I empty the grounds directly into the garden, it adds no particular nourishment to the ground but acts as a filler, I tip it on general beds or at the based of tree's - when raining I literally open the back door and fling it over the lawn and it washes in!

We have one of the Delonghi machines from John Lewis - just over 2 years old now - My brother has a similar model and my parents they all love them. I love it to bits and I am mainly a tea drinker! I think I will go for one now actually!

Edited by Carrerahill