Coffee machines

we've a jura bean to cup from costco, used daily and produces a good cup of coffee. we use taylors espresso beans £14/kg though local sainsburys are now stocking their own 1kg bags at £9 will try to see how good. one of the nicest coffees was lavazza crema and something but haven't found it recently. type of coffee makes a bit difference to crema

• Thanks 1

we've a Delonghi B2C, a Perfecta. It's the more basic one with no milk jug but it does have a couple of useful additions over our previous Magnifica (which was used heavily for six or seven years maybe before deciding to have an appetite for heaters...).

It's got an Eco mode which keeps the boiler warm without having enough waste heat to warm the cupwarmer.

It'll dispense into a full height mug

at full coffee dose it'll fill said mug to almost-espresso strength.

• Thanks 1

Espresso on the induction, cheap as chips. The place we got the kitchen from was trying to sell us a built in one, circa £4000 and the coffee was awful. You had to strip it down and clean all the parts including the milk container and pipework on a regular basis, needless to say we did not buy one of those.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lizzie said:

amazing bit of kit they are like triggers broom (only fools snd horses) never wear out!

Someone online said if you stand the aluminium pot in a pan that works on induction hob it will work

You need one of These

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not bean to cup, but we have a Senseo coffee maker - it uses teabag-like pouches of coffee rather then the aluminium pots. You can also get empty bags to fill with your ground of choice, albeit a bit fiddly... The machine itself is quite convenient and easy to clean.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Had anyone say down and worked out the price of buying and running a coffee machine.

I go out for a coffee most days, cost me somewhere between £1.90 and £2.75 a day, usually about £2.40 (local Costa).

Seems a lot, but is it really. They do the washing up for that and I get to read the newspapers, steal their internet, look at, and get annoyed with youngsters, occasionally have an interesting conversation...

I drink around 12 cups of coffee per day (sometimes more) and Mrs NSS drinks one. At your 'usual' £2.40 per cup it would take less than a month to cover the cost of my £750 B2C machine ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NSS said:

I drink around 12 cups of coffee per day (sometimes more) and Mrs NSS drinks one. At your 'usual' £2.40 per cup it would take less than a month to cover the cost of my £750 B2C machine ?

12? :o  Ye gods that's a lot!

I'm very caffeine sensitive. More than one decent coffee a day and my sleep quality drops, and I'm more prone to becoming anxious in stressful situations.

7 minutes ago, jack said:

I'm very caffeine sensitive.

Try Blue Sparkle instead.  Keeps me going at work but does not seem to stop me sleeping.  Though I do run around like a teenager at work for several hours and it is often over 30°C.

Another +1 for De Longhi - I treated myself to a Prima Donna bean to cup, frothy milk etc 11 years ago and it's still going strong - I've only had to replace an internal O ring in all that time. Easy to get spares for also.

I don't really use the milk jug much myself but visitors tend to like it.

You do need to give it a good clean every month or so - I found that the internal 'brewer' unit needed treating with food safe lubricant after cleaning as it had a tendency to jam up - there's a telescoping element that adjusts for different brew strengths.

I limit myself to two nice large americano's a day, both before 12pm.

Kids have just realised that they can make their own decaf iced coffee and save the £££ they were wasting at Costa :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I don't like the stuff.

Me neither, can't stand coffee. 

My problem has been drinking too many cups of tea a day.  During the build, as soon as I'd got the water and the boiling water tap working, I found myself drinking far too many cups of tea a day.  I've cut back to around 4 or 5 cups a day now and find that I sleep a lot better than I used to.

39 minutes ago, lizzie said:

What a lot of machines to investigate.  Thank you all for the input....I need a strong coffee before I start!

Just follow your first thoughts and don’t tell anyone ???

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

My problem has been drinking too many cups of tea a day.

I don't like tea either. I'll drink tea or coffee if out visiting but never at home. I am partial to a hot chocolate occasionally especially the dark ones.

• Like 1

I'm off coffee for years bar the occasional, once in a blue moon.one in meetings where that's all there is. Went off tea a while back when ill and haven't got the taste for it back. Was on various fruit teas but keep needing the loo. Plain old H2O now run through the filter. I sleep better and wake up sharper without needing that morning cup of whatever. Discussing with a mate the other day when you go cold turkey after being a tea/coffee/coke drinker. Caffeine withdrawal is a real thing!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Caffeine withdrawal is a real thing!

Very real.  One feature of military flying is that crews spends many hours waiting around in crewrooms, often drinking coffee.  Coffee machines were (maybe still are) a fixture in every crew room I've ever sat in.  In the 1980's, the Institute of Aviation Medicine were concerned about the impact of caffeine withdrawal on crew performance, especially on long sorties, so they did some experiments, monitoring crew performance during long flights both before and after removing the coffee machines.  They proved conclusively that crew performance was adversely affected an hour or so into a sortie, when that crew had been sat drinking coffee beforehand.  AFAIK this didn't result in the permanent removal of coffee machines from crewrooms, (there would have been riots, I suspect) but it did become more common for crews to smuggle flasks of coffee into their flight bags...

Had no effect on Nimrod crews, as there was always one crew member on board walking up and down the A/C with either a big teapot or coffee pot.

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Caffeine withdrawal is a real thing!

Despite having my own grinder and a decent espresso machine, I'm slowly winding back the amount of caffeinated coffee I drink. I'm at about 50/50 caffeinated/decaf and expect to be caffeine free within a week or two. I'll see how it goes - I do love good coffee, but if I can adjust to just drinking decaf, I think I'll be better off given how sensitive I am to caffeine's effects.

My missus seems completely immune to caffeine, so she'll continue to inhale it for both of us.

• Like 1