New user. Evening all.

Tonymac01

Hi all, first post on here. Here’s our project. 

Just about to embark on our first new build. 

??

Looking forward to it all. 

Bought a plot (ruin) as part of a divided smallholding farm. We have the ‘outbuildings’ our neighbours are in the farmhouse, then there’s the barn. 

Planning sorted, although we have gone back in with plans for a two storey rather than a single. 

See pics below. 

I have questions about building as plans are for not knocking it down and starting again but building on what’s there !! 

Im going to set up another post for my questions, but will start with this one

I presume the foundations currently there won’t be of a house build standard, how do I start the build without knocking (or looking like) we’re knocking everything down ? 

Anyway, looks like we have an exciting 12 months ahead of us. 

09F90DC4-1F78-45FA-96FD-3836BC995F3D.jpeg

267E9A62-4E45-43C1-B584-1EDD204D1630.jpeg

3F1ED562-DC02-4BAD-B7F8-72F399ADDAB8.jpeg

BF60D2A6-E1D4-4E86-BD63-F8C155092DBE.jpeg

Edited by Tonymac01

Welcome to THE forum for self builders. Looks like an amazing project. Building on top can be more of a problem than knocking down. If the foundation's are no good nobody will stop you creating proper ones and its easier to claim the VAT back if you start from scratch although you can keep a proportion of the old build and still claim the VAT but this needs care.

Cheers Mike. 

Yes we’re very excited, not phased by technically project managing it. 

Do do I need to let the council know if we knock down anything to install foundations, or just do it, as it’s technically a rebuild of what’s there but don’t want them stepping in at the end saying we’ve not done it as they wanted. 

Cheers 

What exactly does your existing permission say? And what does the new application for a two storey house say you want to do?

I disagree with Mike. If you only have permission for a conversion but knock the buildings down the planners may well come back and demand a new planning application. They will point out you have permission for a conversion not a knock down and rebuild. They may grant it or could be mean and say that now the buildings have gone you are trying to get permission for a new house in the country side which is against policy. Its unfair but it has happened before. People have been forced to go to appeal taking time and money.

What I would do is check the foundations and if necessary amend your application to a knock down and rebuild.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Apparently when you convert an agriculture building you can keep all of the structure and still claim the VAT back. See Peters comment in this thread. I've not checked the details.

Edited by Temp

6 hours ago, Temp said:

I disagree with Mike. If you only have permission for a conversion but knock the buildings down the planners may well come back and demand a new planning application.

Sorry I was not clear - you will need to update your planning I just meant that they won't refuse if the reasons are structural and the overall envelope is the same in the end. I do reiterate the VAT issue. It if is a rework then VAT is payable unless you stay within the rules of how much can remain, which isn't much!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, our plans are for a rebuild.

So didn’t want to be half (or all) the way through, council turns up on site or inspects it after and throws a spanner in the works. 

There was one local councillor very very local to the site who objected to the initial planning (not sure why!!) who could easily snoop around the site mid build if they wanted to cause problems. 

Its not a conservation area. 

Edited by Tonymac01

Looks very interesting,

I would say special care would be needed for something so spread out for Energy usage in particular. But it will be fab to live in.

I would raise a flag and say to balance any inspirational architectural aspirations with your feet on the ground.

Example .. the Gasworks by Chris Dyson in Upper Slaughter is up for umpteen awards, but it only just scraped a D in the EPC stakes. In a few years that will probably prevent it being rented out, perhaps even for holidays. And it took them 2 years to sell it.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property-history/the-gasworks/upper-slaughter/cheltenham/gl54-2jt/41509827

It has a fair amount of sustainability wibble attached to the architectural-bollocks, but in practical terms sustainable it is not, as the Energy efficiency is well below the national average.

https://www.architecture.com/find-an-architect/chris-dyson-architects/london/gasworks

“The introduction of a very carefully-considered architectural concept into the Gloucestershire countryside; one which is of national significance and distinction in its approach to quality and sustainabilty, notably the integration of internal and external factors.”

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

I would doubt the foundations will be anything but poor, certainly not good enough for two story, have you got adequate headroom inside, the time you add 225mm in height to the existing. 

I think i would consider having it all marked marked out by a survey company and then ripp it all down and rebuild on the exact same footprint. 

I think i would get your new planning through and have and have a good talk with building control. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

although you can keep a proportion of the old build and still claim the VAT but this needs care.

Welcome to the forum!

For a VAT reclaim for a new build you can only keep the foundations and a single facade noted in the planning permission as needing to be retained due to its architectural significance. 

Looks like the above may count as a conversion however which is also able to be zero rated as long as the existing property meets certain conditions. The main one is that no one has lived in the structure for 10+ years. This includes the structure being used as a domestic garage. 

HMRC will check your planning permission to check that it meets the criteria so it’s worth ensuring that is in order before you start. 

There is a sub forum for VAT reclaims that will appear once you have made 10 posts. 

• Thanks 1

Great stuff, it’s not been lived in EVER !! Which isn’t a bad thing. 

Can i I get back to the foundations ?

As it was sheep pens previously, am guessing the foundations won’t be up to the job or standard of house ones. 

I don’t have time to put planning in again to demolish, plus the planning is for a ‘rebuild’ of what’s there. I would have said it needs a whole new base, in keeping with modern building regs ( the current is rough, different levels, no DPC ) 

do we repair (replace) one wall at a time ? Or put scaffold up with screens, and knock it down and put a whole new base in ? 

Thanks 

Edited by Tonymac01

Good Morning,

I am doing a similar build, so it looks like the foundations will be very poor. ( And if you get that wrong, you get the whole house wrong !!)  I feel you must go back to planning, they can be VERY stubborn if they feel you are running roughshod with them ! a new build 2 storey is not a rebuild. have you spoken to your architect ? I also note you have asbestos on site. This is NOT as big a problem as people make out !!,  and unless its Blue asbestos, you can do it your self and save thousands !! my quote was 12-15k  rubbish I will do it for circa 2k.If you get foundations right , anything after can be fixed, foundations cannot. ps have you got a demolition licence?

regards,

Stephen