Tree proximity to house for Insurance

davidc

I am deciding how far back from the new slab /house perimeter to remove trees (some of which are up to 30ft+ height) from (not a council question) and wondered if self build insurers tend to have  exclusions or stipulations about high and how close trees can be ?

For that matter the same question will arise when switching over from self-build insurance to regular home insurance so wondered if anybody knows the stance that different mainstream insurers also take on the same point?

I'd like to generally keep them well clear but just one or two that are relatively close to the house might be nice to keep.

Generally building control should deal with this. They will either tell you what to remove and then how deep your foundation's will need to be or just tell you how deep they need to be based on the trees. We have an oak about 10m from the house which is protected- the bc man came to site and worked with the ground worker asking them to keep digging down until he saw no more roots in the walls of the trench. We then had to fill 25m of  3m deep trench with concrete but we have had no problems in 15 years. 

The NHBC have a guide on Building near Trees. Removing trees can be the wrong thing to do as on some soil types it can cause heave.

We have trees virtually touching our house. I don't recall any questions on trees when we insured it.

We have clay soil and didn't need piled foundations, just had to line the trenches with foam boards.

They do usually ask about trees for insurance but think ask within 7m. Last place I has bordered onto a woodland some big trees there relatively close. Just 1.5m down with clay boards. More trouble was conifers on another elevation over 2m down there