Glass sliding door blinds/curtains

Triggaaar

25 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I'm putting some voiles up on a wire in the reveal.  Where is it best to fix the wire?  To the window itself, the top of the reveal or the side walls?

My main considerations for what to put where and how to attach it are normally:

1 - What is the impact on the light from the window when the whatevers are open, esp. in the darker months. Unless they are removable easily.

2 - Avoiding fouling the window or door, depending partly on how often it will be opened.

3 - How to attach in a way that will not cause problems in the future eg by drilling of lots of holes into plaster.

And the answer would be different depending on the exact circs, what the window is made from and if it is actually a door, slide or hinged etc.

My normal answer involves a batten inside or outside the reveal, and sometimes good quality curtain poles leaving space to put in cup hooks into the batten below that. But that is driven mainly by surviving potentially frequent changes of occupant with ease of repair, and preventing my walls being repeatedly drilled by possibly not brilliant DIYers.

In your circs I might be looking for something nearly or entirely damage free, which might even be suckers on the glass. I wonder whether command.com surface hooks could do it?

Can you do it such that you just take the whole thing down, rather than open and close it?

Just thoughts.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I had a tension rod which I could take up and down - where to put it when down was the issue.  For this reason and because the curtain will slide along more easily I have changed to a curtain wire.  Curtains are sheer and very light and gap is 2.7m.  I want blinds up for the winter but can't afford them yet and just want this to provide a slight solar gain barrier, probably won't really need it again after today.  The gap is filled by a door - opening out and a bifold, also opening out so there is no fouling.  AND the curtains will only be operated gently by me.

So it to inside the reveal, I don't think command hooks will work - used them in the old house for the shower curtain and was having to refix every couple of weeks with a direct pull - if placed so the tension was sideways they didn't even last that long. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

I'm putting some voiles up on a wire in the reveal.  Where is it best to fix the wire?  To the window itself, the top of the reveal or the side walls?

Mine goes into the wall but the screws are in the service void batten which is enough to take the tension of the wire when tightened.

I'd be surprised if it would hold in just PB but you may be able to use a fitting that grips the rear of the board. 

Would avoid putting it in the window itself.

• Thanks 1