Finally got round to ordering our house safe today....had spoken to locksmith during construction about best place for it in TF single storey house.....not as many options as brick house. Previous one was hidden in the wall behind a picture LOL.....seems very old fashioned now. Think in TF house a fire proof safe is a good thing to have, all the important papers locked away safe and sound.....most of us will have no secret hoard of loot to safeguard after build of course??

1 minute ago, scottishjohn said:

maybe should have been considered when slab was going it --and fit a floor safe ?

I thought of it but was told too complicated.....was enough of a trial getting my flat floor wetroom waste and floor sockets in, bloody great hole for a floor safe would have caused a breakdown ....or a walk out....have passive slab with no floor build up ufh in slab etc.......

10 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Finally got round to ordering our house safe today....had spoken to locksmith during construction about best place for it in TF single storey house.....not as many options as brick house. Previous one was hidden in the wall behind a picture LOL.....seems very old fashioned now. Think in TF house a fire proof safe is a good thing to have, all the important papers locked away safe and sound.....most of us will have no secret hoard of loot to safeguard after build of course??

I fitted one on the first floor of our previous build - the safe had holes on the bottom and back of it.  I hooked a  bracket with threaded ends under the joist and into the bottom of the safe then used nuts and washers to fix it to the floor.  Perhaps drill holes in the concrete floor, epoxy in some threaded rod, feed through the holes in the safe and then use nuts inside the safe to secure?

I'll be fitting another one in this build - very useful for important documents and jewellery etc. when going on holiday

8 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

maybe should have been considered when slab was going it --and fit a floor safe ?

@lizzie's slab is like ours, only 100mm thick, so not deep enough for a decent sized document safe.  I have our safe outside the house, hidden so it's not obvious where it is.  Seems to be a good location for it, as it's dry, secure and well aware from anything like fire.  As a bonus, I have a spare set of keys in it, so it doubles up as a way to get into the house if we lost our keys (the safe doesn't have a key).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cambs said:

I fitted one on the first floor of our previous build - the safe had holes on the bottom and back of it.  I hooked a  bracket with threaded ends under the joist and into the bottom of the safe then used nuts and washers to fix it to the floor.  Perhaps drill holes in the concrete floor, epoxy in some threaded rod, feed through the holes in the safe and then use nuts inside the safe to secure?

I'll be fitting another one in this build - very useful for important documents and jewellery etc. when going on holiday

Mine will be fixed to floor with special glue pack fixings ...locksmith fitting it.....have been warned no way to get it up short of digging up floor once its fitted.

@JSHarris I have a key safe away from the house but no sensible location for other safe away from the house. Good idea if you can do it. 

12 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@JSHarris I have a key safe away from the house but no sensible location for other safe away from the house. Good idea if you can do it. 

The idea wasn't mine, it came from a chap doing some landscaping work for us, who had a digger on site.  We were thinking of what to do with one area and he suggested it as a secret cave.  It was one step on from that to make it a location for a secure and weatherproof outdoor safe.  Not hard to do, as the safe is secured inside a totally weatherproof, airtight enclosure, so the safe is nothing special, didn't cost me anything, either, as I scrounged it when it was being thrown out at work, years ago.  The safe was security rated as being OK for secret and top secret documents back when it was made, so should be secure enough!  Moving it and securing it needed two of us and a digger, though.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The idea wasn't mine, it came from a chap doing some landscaping work for us, who had a digger on site.  We were thinking of what to do with one area and he suggested it as a secret cave.  It was one step on from that to make it a location for a secure and weatherproof outdoor safe.  Not hard to do, as the safe is secured inside a totally weatherproof, airtight enclosure, so the safe is nothing special, didn't cost me anything, either, as I scrounged it when it was being thrown out at work, years ago.  The safe was security rated as being OK for secret and top secret documents back when it was made, so should be secure enough!  Moving it and securing it needed two of us and a digger, though.

Did you have to "dispose" of the help once it was in place in order to keep its location safe?

Just now, LA3222 said:

Did you have to "dispose" of the help once it was in place in order to keep its location safe?

No, I trust him, plus he'd never be able to get his digger in there now, and I doubt he'd be able to shift it any other way, now it's concreted in place.  It's made from two iron castings, one for the main cabinet and another for the door, so weighs a fair bit.

It's a massive over-kill for our needs, but it looked too good to be scrapped when it was being thrown out, so I felt I had to give it a home.  It's been stowed away in my garage for years, before we moved, and I'm glad I've been able to put it to good use.  Nothing very valuable is ever stored in it now, unlike some of the files it once held back in the 1950's, when it was made. 

3 hours ago, JSHarris said:

@lizzie's slab is like ours, only 100mm thick, so not deep enough for a decent sized document safe.

I was assuming you would make a suitable "sump " in the slab where you were going to  put the safe  and have a big cube of concrete in that area--maybe in garage ? so not in heated slab

certainly easier than the way I had to do it garages for  storage MOT  certs,when we had such things and  safe  for money+scratch card for petrol stations  in the past .you could end having to have a safe that had to be rated for 10k --and an above ground one for that was stupid expensive  and hardly hidden 

big compressor and concrete breaker and saw 

something like these https://www.safeoptions.co.uk/home-safes/under-floor-security-safes

Edited by scottishjohn

No, I trust him, plus he'd never be able to get his digger in there now, and I doubt he'd be able to shift it any other way, now it's concreted in place.  It's made from two iron castings, one for the main cabinet and another for the door, so weighs a fair bit.

It's a massive over-kill for our needs, but it looked too good to be scrapped when it was being thrown out, so I felt I had to give it a home.  It's been stowed away in my garage for years, before we moved, and I'm glad I've been able to put it to good use.  Nothing very valuable is ever stored in it now, unlike some of the files it once held back in the 1950's, when it was made. 

Poring over your build blog now to see if I can spot it :) 

Does your better half know where it is and how to access it?

3 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Poring over your build blog now to see if I can spot it :) 

Does your better half know where it is and how to access it?

You won't spot it, as it went in last year, when we were finishing the garden landscaping, planting trees, putting fencing up etc.  I must take some up to date photos, now the trees have grown a fair bit and the garden's full of flowers.  Still won't be able to spot where the safe is, though!

Still won't be able to spot where the safe is, though!

Can we play 'Spot the Safe'.

For anyone under 40, that is what we did before the Lottery came along, though it was called 'Spot the Ball'

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Haha 1