House build from recycled Materials.

I am a great big fan of Dan Phillips

and his Building Company

building all their houses out of recycled materials:

This was one of my inspirations for building my Garden Office 

mainly from recyled materials.(The other "inspiration" was being  skint ?)

Some try it on here , most I think are rather going for brand new stuff when it comes to their house.

I done my entire kitchen incl. appliances at my current house from second hand/ freebies/ ebay

and it s a high end timber kitchen.

Any of you probably aware of the Gumtree "Freebies" section , but you can find some great stuff on

Freecycle.org as well. Just sign up for your area (all non profit and free) to see what is available for free.

Anyone got some good experience in this topic?

I wanted to include some second had stuff in our house, but:

- You need to be organised and very patient - the right stuff comes up rarely.

- You must be flexible - the perfect stuff practically never comes up!

- Whoever is installing it needs to be willing to work with second hand stuff.

It just didn't work out for us in the end.

I'll build another house one day, maybe when I retire, and I'll definitely be taking a very different approach compared to the current one.

I'm a great fan of Freecycle, but have found recently that there are "professional" takers now, who swoop like hawks on anything they think they can sell on.  I gave away two boats on Freecycle before we moved (it was unlawful to sell them due EU to regulations), and both ended up on eBay within a week.  The buyer of one of them managed to track me down via a boat forum, where there were pictures of the build of the boat, and asked me for advice.  I had to tell him that, sadly, he was on his own, as I Freecycled it precisely because it was unlawful to sell it, so in my view it had been scrapped.

17 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I gave away two boats on Freecycle before we moved (it was unlawful to sell them due EU to regulations)

Why on earth was it against EU regs?, planes I can understand.

I love using second hand and up-cycled materials I get a lot from various Facebook sites but I have good contacts at various builders merchants and they send huge amounts of stuff my way after stock takes, building a staircase out of old whiskey barrels and recycled wood at the moment. I love the challenge of using mismatched stuff and trying to make it look good. My property consists of 3  buildings and a cabin so i have plenty of places to use stuff. Got given gutters the other day, they are galvanised and no rust but I expect they won’t last for ever so I painted them black with car body under seal / wax oil. Had to hand make all the brackets...... well I did not have to .....but  had some brackets from another type of gutter so put them in the forge and re bent them on the anvil just because I can........ yes it all takes a lot longer and sometime cash savings are not there but you end up with a bespoke job. People love my cabin I build as it is very quirky and the attention to detail is always remarked upon. For me it’s a way of life, I enjoy fluffing around making Stuff day in day out. I have the advantage that I live on site all the time as I make my money from tourism So I need an endless list of projects to keep me busy..... I have at least 5 years of non stop projects on the go right now ! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

Why on earth was it against EU regs?, planes I can understand.

The Recreational Craft Directive has a commercially-driven clause in it that makes it unlawful to sell a second-hand home built boat, as it doesn't have a CE mark and may not comply with the requirements of the Directive.  It's lawful to build one for your own use, but not to sell it.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Don’t get me started on EU directives ?.

There's a brilliant Catch 22 in this one.  As a sop to the complaints raised by some home built boat hobbyists during the consultation phase, they added a clause that allowed a home built boat to be sold without a CE mark after five years from "having been first brought in to service".  When tested, being "first brought in to service" was considered to be when the boat might be inspected by someone authorised to declare that the boat was compliant with the RCD.  In other words, there is no way for a hobby builder to be able to prove the date when it was "first brought into service" without paying a fee to have the boat inspected (typically around £500) and CE marked.  If they do sell it without doing this, then they become personally liable should there be a later accident involving the boat.  The consequences of that are unthinkable in terms of cost, and it's an uninsurable risk.  People do break this regulation all the time, but I suspect they may not be aware of the consequences of doing so.  I decided to officially scrap both boats and give them away as scrap on Freecycle.

Genuine question on this.

What is the position of including 2nd hand patio doors in a reno? Wrt to eg Fensa?

There's no end of them, and I have just used a couple of 3 year old ones for a garden building which were about £125 each, and wood-grain to boot. Each of those is pretty much as good as new, and it seems criminal to waste them. In this case one of them was one of a set of 3 nearly new ones being taken out of a barn conversion because they thought the new white ones would be classier.

F

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Genuine question on this.

What is the position of including 2nd hand patio doors in a reno? Wrt to eg Fensa?

There's no end of them, and I have just used a couple of 3 year old ones for a garden building which were about £125 each, and wood-grain to boot. Each of those is pretty much as good as new, and it seems criminal to waste them. In this case one of them was one of a set of 3 nearly new ones being taken out of a barn conversion because they thought the new white ones would be classier.

F

FENSA only applies to installers, not manufacturers, so it's the installation that is getting building regs approval as being compliant via the FENSA contractor.  The main issue will be compliance with Part B (fire escape provision through windows), Part M (width of openings, thresholds etc) and Part N (glazing safety).

• Thanks 1

I am told that at one time, the ICF Durisol was made from recycled telephone cable drums. Not so now. Too much demand.

But Hell folks, let's all pool all our waste pallets; mince them up, boil the minced wood, drench the mush in Portland cement , shape it  into a nice block and leave to dry.

And then pop a bit of recycled PIR in half of the hole - sell it. ?

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I'm a great fan of Freecycle, but have found recently that there are "professional" takers now, who swoop like hawks on anything they think they can sell on.

Yep. Unfortunately this Is a wider problem on all freebies sites. Wether that's Freecycle, freebies on gumtree or the various Facebook sites. Once they become popular and really good stuff appears regularly, your next man&van guy is starting to collect good bits all day long.

4 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I am told that at one time, the ICF Durisol was made from recycled telephone cable drums. Not so now. Too much demand.

But Hell folks, let's all pool all our waste pallets; mince them up, boil the minced wood, drench the mush in Portland cement , shape it  into a nice block and leave to dry.

And then pop a bit of recycled PIR in half of the hole - sell it. ?

Job for my pallet buster? It's painted now!

@Onoff

That's a brilliant tool. I got the small version of It and it saved me so much pain and agony compared to crowbar and hammer(what I used to do).

I am currently thinking about upgrading to real mansize, like the one you got.

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

@Onoff

That's a brilliant tool. I got the small version of It and it saved me so much pain and agony compared to crowbar and hammer(what I used to do).

I am currently thinking about upgrading to real mansize, like the one you got.

Mines home made. Details here, back of a fag packet plans on 2nd page. Think I say in there it'll only cope with the type of pallet that has "4x2" type cross bearers due to the width between angles. Easily adaptable though. Must get around to making the fully width adjustable, quick release pinned, MK2...don't wait up!

16 hours ago, Patrick said:

done my entire kitchen incl. appliances at my current house from second hand/ freebies/ ebay

and it s a high end timber kitchen.

My brother has done two kitchen using eBay buys. His last kitchen cost £150 and was 18 months old. The seller was a builder who had the job of fitting a new one, as the lady didn’t like the one that was in the house she’d recently bought. The proviso was my brother had to strip the kitchen out on an agreed date. The built in microwave still had the foam packers inside for the turntable, having never been used. I’t came complete with a built in fridge, freezer and dishwasher.

One mans rubbish and all that.

22 minutes ago, Triassic said:

My brother has done two kitchen using eBay buys. His last kitchen cost £150 and was 18 months old.

One mans rubbish and all that.

Yep. Same here. Mine was 120£ and had granite sink with it. All ready dismantled to pick up , because posh London family bought the house and didn't like the colour. (it s timber, they wanted it glossy white).

Had to buy some appliances though.

but they where second hand as well.

Edited by Patrick