Got to laugh..... 8 weeks and counting (update now granted at 27.6 weeks)

Moonshine

8 weeks and counting, and the LPA still haven't put my validated application out for consultation.... ¬¬

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed xD

I should start a sweep stake on when a decision is going to be made, first prize a stout round of applause;

applause.gif.e4f63538d71bb248b208e2b401a383f8.gif

Edited by Moonshine

Just now, AnonymousBosch said:

How would you know that they had started the consultation process?

Well the public consultation process at least, no indication on the website of neighbour consultation or being advertised in the newspaper. So the 3 week consultation period is still to commence.

22 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Well the public consultation process at least, no indication on the website of neighbour consultation or being advertised in the newspaper. So the 3 week consultation period is still to commence.

Stick at it 

The rest of the build is a breeze after all the planning nonsense is out of the way 

It was the only time of the build that I felt stressed 

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

8 weeks and counting, and the LPA still haven't put my validated application out for consultation.... ¬¬

I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed xD

I should start a sweep stake on when a decision is going to be made, first prize a stout round of applause;

applause.gif.e4f63538d71bb248b208e2b401a383f8.gif

Our LA sort of did this to us, about a week before the statutory 8 weeks was up I decided to call in and ask how things were going. No one had even logged it! It wasn't on anybody's radar at all.

The result was the planning girl was around the next day, very apologetic and the head of planning called me to say sorry and that it still had to go through the 21 days notice period. She said she would let us know within the week if it had been approved by the planning department and unless any serious objections were received they would telephone to approve it on the 21st day. 

I got a call at 12:00 on Friday and the JCB rolled in on the Saturday! Official letter came in on the Monday or Tuesday.

So i got an update to say the planner, after consultation with the department, they now don't like the design, particularly a few elements and the massing.

They have offered a meeting to discuss, which hopefully will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Yep, it is annoyingly slow to deal with them.

They are all overworked and underfunded.

This doesn t help when you are in the situation waiting for results. I had 2 delays of a few weeks each time with my applications.

They each time asked me "if it was alright" to delay their own deadlines for another 14 days .

when I asked my Planning Consultant at the time, what my options are , the answer was:

"grant them the extension and it will hopefully be permitted, deny them the extension and it will most definitely be refused"

So not much of a real choice.

I agree with Patrick above. However, i just dont have that gift, and i always end up winding them up. The truth is, i think our planning system is broken. The National and local policies are all written like laws. Open to being interpretated in many different ways. It's quite easy to have one planning officer who is ok with crown roofs, and one who is not, sitting next to each other in the office. I have a local planning officer, not young, who passed a large crown roof, 2 doors away, but told me 2 months later, that he would not allow them on mine. You are at there mercy, and whims, and that is just not right. Once you get a job with the council, you don't get sacked. You can spend your whole career going from department to department being rubbish. Don't feel too sorry for them. My highly educated, very clever daughter, (not my words. She was identified by a government dept at 12 as being so) joined a council. 30 in the department. After 2 months she advised the council that the dept could be run by 10 people with spare capacity. She advised that the 2/3rds of the people who consistantly worked from home, achieved 2 peoples work. She sugested a proformance pay structure, and no more home working. She identified that people working from home, were logged onto the computer system for as little as 12minutes a day. These people were earning in excess of 30k a year. A huge proportion of the money we put into the councils bank accounts is wasted. Sorry.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 19/07/2019 at 14:08, Moonshine said:

So i got an update to say the planner, after consultation with the department, they now don't like the design, particularly a few elements and the massing.

They have offered a meeting to discuss, which hopefully will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Make sure to record the conversation discreetly.....

10 minutes ago, pocster said:

Make sure to record the conversation discreetly.....

That ship has sailed, however of the redesigned scheme the architect indicates that as they are only asking for tweaks now, the scheme seems to be supported.

Time will tell, and see what consultation brings up!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

That ship has sailed, however of the redesigned scheme the architect indicates that as they are only asking for tweaks now, the scheme seems to be supported.

Time will tell, and see what consultation brings up!

Any chance of getting your fee back if they exceed their timing? Post decision obviously.

I did this when my planning conditions took 12+ weeks to discharge - was only £95 though as I put them all in in one shot.

30 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Any chance of getting your fee back if they exceed their timing? Post decision obviously.

i have looked into this after getting the heads up  on this forum, and currently have 6 weeks left until that is an issue. Though they only have to ask and me agree for an extension and i don't get the fee back. 

Assuming that they don't have anything significant come back from the consultation, then they will have a good 3-4 weeks to make a decision and write a report, which i can see them being able to do.

In terms of the fee issue, it would be a nice thing to get it back, but i would much rather a decision within 26 weeks, ideally the correct one! :)

Well the 21 days consultation in nearly up, with two objections (so far! i am sure a couple more will come in). Interestingly it is not the objectors that i thought it would be, and tbf i can see their reasoning, but i don't think that the objections have a basis on material planning grounds.

I got word from the planning officer this morning, who indicated that they are likely to put in a recommendation for approval at the planning committee's delegation briefing, which happens next week.

If the wind is in the right direction i feel that i could have a decision by the end of the month, fingers crossed as its been a long process!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmation received that its being determined under delegated powers with a recommendation for approval.

So sometime in the next few weeks i should be getting my planning application granted (95% sure), after a long long process.

After buying my house 5+ years ago, never thinking about developing it at the time, i am likely get an approval for two additional 160m2 houses on the plot!

Next steps, figuring out WTF to do with the plot/permission(s)! ?

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Because the land is (I think) the garden of his main sole residence.

Correct, I need to check with an accountant about the tax liabilities, but we could potentially sell the whole lot with the permission excempt from CGT, pocketing the land uplift pretty much tax free.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

Correct, I need to check with an accountant about the tax liabilities, but we could potentially sell the whole lot with the permission excempt from CGT, pocketing the land uplift pretty much tax free.

Ah yes ! If you sell the whole thing including your residence then CGT free !!!

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Ah yes ! If you sell the whole thing including your residence then CGT free !!!

Or .......

Split one plot off . Sell the rest CGT free . Then build a new residence ...

Edited by pocster