The great Saga of Dumb and Dumber cutting a tree.

29 minutes ago, Patrick said:

@joe90
I'm glad this happened to others.since releasing my story, I had loads of people coming up with their tree cutting mistake stories, so seems to be more widely spread. Which makes me feel a tiny bit less stupid (only tiny) ?

Making mistakes is a human trait, as long as we learn from them (better to learn from other people’s mistakes tho !).

38 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Making mistakes is a human trait, as long as we learn from them (better to learn from other people’s mistakes tho !).

When flying and working on aircraft, the golden rule was to always tell everyone about any error or mistake.  The only really stupid thing is to make a mistake and then keep quiet about it.

• Like 3

The only potentially serious injury I had during the build was tree related.

The site container was being delivered and there was a 20ft long walnut tree branch fouling the space. Was only 3-4 inches thick where it met the trunk and was about head height, more or less horizontal.

Quick job with the electric chainsaw I thought and hopped up some steps to cut it. Saw went through it like butter, however rather than falling gracefully to the ground as I expected, when free from the tree it rotated and the freshly cut end smacked the chainsaw which smacked me in the face. Luckily it was not running but I got a nasty gash on my lip and some bruising.

I slapped a big plaster on just in time for the HIAB driver to arrive with the container, bleeding freely under it. Once container was off loaded I headed to our local minor injuries unit to get patched up. 

Quite a sobering episode - now when I cut anything, I only go 3/4 of the way through and let gravity do the rest, using the remaining attachment as a hinge. Also prefer to use a Stihl hand tree saw vs anything powered as you have much more control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitpipe said:

The only potentially serious injury I had during the build was tree related.

The site container was being delivered and there was a 20ft long walnut tree branch fouling the space. Was only 3-4 inches thick where it met the trunk and was about head height, more or less horizontal.

Quick job with the electric chainsaw I thought and hopped up some steps to cut it. Saw went through it like butter, however rather than falling gracefully to the ground as I expected, when free from the tree it rotated and the freshly cut end smacked the chainsaw which smacked me in the face. Luckily it was not running but I got a nasty gash on my lip and some bruising.

I slapped a big plaster on just in time for the HIAB driver to arrive with the container, bleeding freely under it. Once container was off loaded I headed to our local minor injuries unit to get patched up. 

Quite a sobering episode - now when I cut anything, I only go 3/4 of the way through and let gravity do the rest, using the remaining attachment as a hinge. Also prefer to use a Stihl hand tree saw vs anything powered as you have much more control.

I clicked like but just thought I would clarify that I liked the story and not what happened to you!!

• Haha 1

Now a bit of a change in topic, but what are some good ideas of what to do with that :

IMG_20190717_154035.thumb.jpg.a8c5d00fbb2dd31ecc52e48cd049e891.jpgIMG_20190717_154038.thumb.jpg.83b3288b28772fd50ec0b157960c37c1.jpg

Had some locals come around that took a few pieces for wood turning.

Obviously all has to dry really before it can be used.

Joiner who uses it for Woodturning says YEW isnt any good as Firewood as it has too much resin .

Will probably store it in one corner and see if I can use it as Garden Stools in 2-3 years time when building is (hopefully) done.

Original Plan was to cut the tree to boards and reuse them- worktop for example - but this plan went out the window (a.k.a crashing into a wall)

Any other good ideas? Cut them to small boards and use them(as what) ?  Donate them to wood turning place as it s not worth the hassle?

Longbowmen.jpg

?

(for short people)

or doorstops. Yew is heavy.

Or as you say donate to woodturner or sculptor in exchange for one or two pieces, say a house nameplate or a number or a box for loose objects in your hallway as examples. Something that will memorialise the tree for a few decades in your house.

BTW what is that circle of toadstool things - pass the parcel installation?

Edited by Ferdinand

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

It makes lovely firewood imo but takes a good while to dry

Yep, thats what you said in the first place, so first thought was to give it to my neighbour.

Just that comment put me off, but than again, maybe the guy just didn t dry it well enough .

Woodturners like Yew.  I have a beautiful bowl turned from a yew that came down in my local churchyard  in big storms in late 1990’s.

If you have a local woodturner then a piece for yourself in exchange for the wood is nice.

My house name plate is made from a piece of black walnut from a tree my nephew (tree surgeon) took down.  It looks great and is so personal much better than a shop bought one for me.

• Thanks 1

@Ferdinand

ah yes, this was some art project from the local secondary school. Had a stone masonary carving guy showing them how to do statues . Each kid done one a few years back.

It s the local Park. That s my neighbour and thats where my Tree came down.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Why can you not fix it. 

I m just fed up with this one. Take it as Superstition but I don't want to use it anymore. ?

IF I should do some more chainsaw-related work, I will get a Stiehl, like any decent man would ?

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I m just fed up with this one. Take it as Superstition but I don't want to use it anymore. ?

IF I should do some more chainsaw-related work, I will get a Stiehl, like any decent man would ?

Stihl isn’t what it used to be... a lot are US made and quality is shocking. I switched to Husqvarna a couple of years ago as I got fed up with Stihl saws not running or chewing cylinder liners. And that was with Stihl oil too ..!

7 minutes ago, Patrick said:

@PeterW

Well, I bought a husqvarna as its apparantly excellent quality and it lit up in my hand while using it ?

shit can always happen with second hand stuff, but I take it as a hint. ?

So... it’s from between 1990-96 as they stopped making the 40 series in 1996.. so at best it’s 23 years old ..!! I’m surprised it is still going as the carb diaphragms perish so it’s not surprising that it’s leaked fuel. I’d guess that the fuel pipes have gone and it’s spread fuel around the casing that’s flared when the exhaust has got hot. 

• Like 1