Low profile compression 40mm waste fittings?

8ball

I have a low profile Geberit shower trap and from the install instructions it requests that you do not use solvent weld so I thought a Floplast compression fitting would be fine but the collar of the compression fitting pushes against the bottom of the shower tray.

Does anyone now of any waste compression fittings that have low profile collars?

Stupid design :-(

IMG_2374.thumb.jpg.81abb932a38daf073ee99cfc120f596b.jpg

Do they say why you can't use solvent weld or is it just a "recommendation"?

If that joint isn't going to be accessible then I would want to make darn sure it was never going to leak and solvent weld is the obvious solution. However, if you can't do that then floplast do a type of push fit waste fitting although I'm not sure what size as when I bought some to do some temporary plumbing none of my other "standard" size waste pipes would fit.

Might be worth taking the shower waste along to a an "old school" plumbers merchant if there's one near you and ask them to find a connector that fits.

Do geberit suggest what firing to use?

Use push fit. 

Reason Geberit say do not use solvent as that is made of polyethylene and it doesn’t take kindly to solvent welding ..!

Also, you’re not supposed to drop 90 degrees like that within a certain distance - MIs tell you the minimum distances. 

18 hours ago, Rob99 said:

Do they say why you can't use solvent weld or is it just a "recommendation"?

If that joint isn't going to be accessible then I would want to make darn sure it was never going to leak and solvent weld is the obvious solution. However, if you can't do that then floplast do a type of push fit waste fitting although I'm not sure what size as when I bought some to do some temporary plumbing none of my other "standard" size waste pipes would fit.

Might be worth taking the shower waste along to a an "old school" plumbers merchant if there's one near you and ask them to find a connector that fits.

Do geberit suggest what firing to use?

No solvent due to the materials its made from.

I''m the same when the pipe work is going to be locked away under a floor I like to use solvent but Geberit seem to think that other methods are fine on their stupidly expensive parts.

Going to take it with me tomorrow on a day out in Banbury to see if I can find a good fitting push fit ?

From my experience of manufacturers the more expensive it is the less information is available and the worse the design is.

17 hours ago, PeterW said:

Also, you’re not supposed to drop 90 degrees like that within a certain distance - MIs tell you the minimum distances. 

Just a temp fit up until the drainage is sorted out in the room below but thanks for the heads up anyway PeterW

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@8ball was this new as all Geberit stuff comes with really good instructions..??

have you got the part number ..??

Instructions are an absolute joke and had to search around on the stupid Gerberit website for ages to find the right info

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I had a look at some images of this and they all seemed to come with a short bit of pipe attached. Not so with yours @8ball?

No pipe I'm afraid, maybe if I'd paid another £50 I might have ?

IMG_2376.jpg.2d6801bd0afefeceacbc9ff846bd9457.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg.5739ed11f40a467edbc04d43126dd620.jpg

@8ball did you buy that off eBay ..??

Its an old stock number, the current version is 150.554.21.1 for that drain from looking at the current product guide. 

The correct UK version with the connector is 150.555.21.1 which has the connector for a 40mm pushfit pipe fitted as standard. 

12 hours ago, PeterW said:

@8ball did you buy that off eBay ..??

Its an old stock number, the current version is 150.554.21.1 for that drain from looking at the current product guide. 

The correct UK version with the connector is 150.555.21.1 which has the connector for a 40mm pushfit pipe fitted as standard. 

I got it from a company called Flush Bathrooms, ah well you win some you lose some eh

29 minutes ago, 8ball said:

Flush Bathrooms...

I take it you read their reviews first ...? 

They sell a lot of grey import stuff that isn’t sold in the UK hence why the problem. How much was it out of interest ..??

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 8ball said:

Instructions are an absolute joke

I thought WTF at first with my Geberit stuff (WC frame, flush plate, wall drain). (Still don't like the way they mix mm & cm). Takes a few reads but once you "get it" you'll be impressed at the simplicity and just bloody good design.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

I take it you read their reviews first ...? 

They sell a lot of grey import stuff that isn’t sold in the UK hence why the problem. How much was it out of interest ..??

It was a bout £40 and yes the reviews are terrible for that company but I was fobbed off by some dude saying they are under new management and all the problems will be ironed out...pah

On 16/07/2019 at 23:44, PeterW said:

Use push fit. 

Reason Geberit say do not use solvent as that is made of polyethylene and it doesn’t take kindly to solvent welding ..!

After your comment I wanted to find out the reg's for distance needed before a 90 drop ready for the perminant plumbing in the future but could not seem to find anything...what does MIs stand for in your comment please?

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Manufacturers Instructions. 

Some of the syphon type shower wastes need a minimum distance before a bend to keep the water flowing and draw it out of the waste 

Thanks for the info and fast reply peterW ?

23 hours ago, Onoff said:

[...] 

(Still don't like the way they mix mm & cm). 

[...]

Irritating, lazy, arrogant, self-indulgent bar stewards.

Their response to my email: So wird das immer gemacht (We always do it that way)

Rubbish. Always doing it that way doesn't make it any more user friendly.

For Geberit, user friendliness stops at their arses as far as I am concerned.

7 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Irritating, lazy, arrogant, self-indulgent bar stewards.

Their response to my email: So wird das immer gemacht (We always do it that way)

Rubbish. Always doing it that way doesn't make it any more user friendly.

For Geberit, user friendliness stops at their arses as far as I am concerned.

I must admit in the future I don't think I'll buy Geberit, I had to is this situation because the shower tray manufacturer insisted on this model  

32 minutes ago, 8ball said:

I must admit in the future I don't think I'll buy Geberit, I had to is this situation because the shower tray manufacturer insisted on this model  

Geberit is head and shoulders above the rest - you’ve struck unlucky as you’ve been provided with a non-UK part as your shower tray supplier isn’t giving you the right info.... 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 8ball said:

I'd buy nothing else. 

• Like 1

So got hold of some pushfit fittings from Screwfix yesterday and they are too big by 1mm ?

Geberit OD 39.8mm

Floplast pushfit pipe OD 40.9mm

the 1mm I thought would not make much of a difference but the Geberit exit pipe flaps around like a d**k up a shirt sleeve.

My own stupid fault for not taking the Geberit with me, ah well.

Does anyone have any other ideas please because I'm about to send this thing into the back field

The tight arse I'm not spending any more money solution is to take some time and get the 40mm compression fitting and reduce the collar size by a few mm's with my multi tool ?