10mm cable ; clip to the POSIs?

ToughButterCup

33 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Just starting to put our cable runs in....? 'Nother adventure ahead. 

10mm cable is beefy innit? Never seen any til today. 

Well any'ow, does it need to be clipped to the bottom chord (top of) of each POSI? 

Thanks.... 

Ian 

This might help you in your adventure:

522.6.201 A cable installed under a floor or above a ceiling shall be run in such a position that it is not liable to
be damaged by contact with the floor or ceiling or their fixings.
A cable passing through a joist within a floor or ceiling construction or through a ceiling support (e.g. under
floorboards), shall:
(i) be installed at least 50 mm measured vertically from the top, or bottom as appropriate, of the joist or batten,
or
(ii) comply with Regulation 522.6.204.
522.6.202 A cable installed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or
partition shall:
(i) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed
by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any
surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the
point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined
from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of
100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side, or
Where indent (i) but not indent (ii) applies, the cable shall be provided with additional protection by means of an
RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.
522.6.203 Irrespective of its buried depth, a cable concealed in a wall or partition, the internal construction of
which includes metallic parts, other than metallic fixings such as nails, screws and the like, shall:
(i) be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation
415.1.1, or
For a cable installed at a depth of less than 50 mm from the surface of a wall or partition the requirements of
Regulation 522.6.202(i) shall also apply.

As for the reference to 522.6.204 - that basically means earthed runs, so twin and earth cable etc. earthed conduit, protected from damage (this applies to where damage is likely).

Edited by Carrerahill

4 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

This might help you in your adventure:

522.6.201 A cable installed under a floor or above a ceiling shall be run in such a position that it is not liable to
be damaged by contact with the floor or ceiling or their fixings.
A cable passing through a joist within a floor or ceiling construction or through a ceiling support (e.g. under
floorboards), shall:
(i) be installed at least 50 mm measured vertically from the top, or bottom as appropriate, of the joist or batten,
or
522.6.202 A cable installed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50 mm from a surface of the wall or
partition shall:
(i) be installed in a zone within 150 mm from the top of the wall or partition or within 150 mm of an angle formed
by two adjoining walls or partitions. Where the cable is connected to a point, accessory or switchgear on any
surface of the wall or partition, the cable may be installed in a zone either horizontally or vertically, to the
point, accessory or switchgear. Where the location of the accessory, point or switchgear can be determined
from the reverse side, a zone formed on one side of a wall of 100 mm thickness or less or partition of
100 mm thickness or less extends to the reverse side, or
Where indent (i) but not indent (ii) applies, the cable shall be provided with additional protection by means of an
RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation 415.1.1.
522.6.203 Irrespective of its buried depth, a cable concealed in a wall or partition, the internal construction of
which includes metallic parts, other than metallic fixings such as nails, screws and the like, shall:
(i) be provided with additional protection by means of an RCD having the characteristics specified in Regulation
415.1.1, or
For a cable installed at a depth of less than 50 mm from the surface of a wall or partition the requirements of
Regulation 522.6.202(i) shall also apply.

As for the reference to 522.6.204 - that basically means earthed runs, so twin and earth cable etc. earthed conduit, protected from damage (this applies to where damage is likely. 

?

12 hours ago, redtop said:

plastic tie them to the metal web so they run at mid-depth in the joist.  easiest solution

No. A lot of the webs have nasty sharp edges where they are stamped out.  If you must tie them to the web, then wrap that bit of the web with some pipe insulation or similar first to cover the sharp edges.

21 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Hmmm, cut myself on a web the other day: you have a point. So how would you (do you) do it then Dave

Wrap and cable tie an offcut of pipe insulation around that leg of the web, and cable tie the cable to that pipe insulation.

• Thanks 1