Meter installation - am I ready?

Roz

We've been told our meter will be installed this Friday after waiting a while for it. However an electrician I spoke to said I should check that we are ready for this. He said they might want there to be "a temporary supply for the meter to provide you with usable power ". BUt when I asked the electricity company what needed to be in place, and told them western power had been to run the cable and that's all that was there, they said that was fine. 

Any thoughts? At the moment we just have the meter cabinet, I guess with the cable running to it. No first or second fix electrics have been conducted, we're an empty shell.

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

nothing inside to mount the meter +  an isolator switch ?

usually they want a nice big area of wood to screw things too

We've literally just got an external white plastic meter box, I thought it all went in there ?not sure why the energy company seem to have no idea to be fair! We havent had any work done by an electrician yet

11 minutes ago, Roz said:

We've literally just got an external white plastic meter box, I thought it all went in there ?not sure why the energy company seem to have no idea to be fair! We havent had any work done by an electrician yet

You must have a signed off temporary installation for the electricity supplier (not the DNO) to be able to install a meter.  The sequence is usually this:

Install empty meter cabinet (anyone can do this).

Install a temporary site supply, which at it's simplest can be an isolator switch (optional but a good idea), small consumer unit with RCD/RCBO/MCB protection as required for any connected circuits, plus the site supply outlets, as required.  Any electrician (Part P required for England and Wales) can do this, but it needs two visits, one to do the install and dead checks, another to do the live checks after connection.

Get DNO to install a supply (has to be done by the DNO).

Get a supplier of your choice to install the meter and connect it to both the incoming fuse and to the isolator switch or site supply consumer unit.

Get your electrician to complete the live testing and issue an installation certificate.

• Thanks 1

They usually supply and connect the meter and an isolator switch and your electrician can then connect to the other side of the isolator. If they don't have an isolator switch, I would be surprise if they didn't, you can get them at most electrical wholesalers and the like but you want them to fit it. Just check that the white box has a wooden  back plate in it and let the power company do their thing.

Hmmm so I'm feeling a bit puzzled about this. I just rang energy company again and this time they wouldn't really answer the question. I raised 'isolator switch' and they said thats a separate job and seemed to suggest it happens after the meter is installed. So I am puzzled about whether to expect them to do it or not. 

I have asked them to email the meter engineers and ask if what we have in place is what they need to be in place, but not that hopeful on getting a clear answer! 

The white meter box didnt have a wooden back plate when it arrived, just a plastic one :/ is this a problem?

So... I got an email saying the following: 

I have called the metering team. Its a slightly hard one to answer. The reason being is that normally the cable would be in place along with the consumer unit (fitted your side) then the last thing to do would be to install the meter.

The engineer will attend to install the meter, however it maybe left with fuse out - as he cant fully complete the job. This would mean a further appointment would be required once your side of things is ready.

No isolation switch will be installed as this was not part of the original job.

I hope this helps. I am sorry it may sound like we are being vague but like I said, we are normally the last person to attend. Once everything is ready for the meter.

I am a bit confused because I thought it was normal to get the meter installed at this stage so that we could start using electricity on site instead of our generator? I must be missing something if they say that its normal for them to be the last ones to attend the site.

YOUR electrician should know what needs to be done to be ready for meter  and if your meter box is suitable -could be you one thats not meant to be stud up on its own in the middle of a field  -needs to be fixed to a wall?

speak to your electrician 

Edited by scottishjohn

I'd be fitting an REC (isolation switch) myself for them to connect to:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYREC2S.html

Probably easier for you to get:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-100a-dp-isolator-with-enclosure/321fr

They don't all sing from the same hymn sheet is the issue. Around here if you talk on the phone they ask for an "INCERT" to be available aka an Electrical Installation Certificate. The lads who turn up never ask. Offer of teas, coffee and a plate of nice biscuits should help.

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

SSE (the supplier, not SSE the DNO, they are a different company) were very specific and insisted that I had a signed off installation before they would fit the meter.  Bit chicken and egg, because I couldn't do the live tests to sign off the installation until after SSE had fitted the meter.

Our temporary installation consisted of an isolator switch and a small waterproof consumer unit that had a 16 A commando on the side, for site power.  You also have to have an earth electrode and RCD/RCBO for the temporary supply, as they will not connect the meter until you do.

SSE (the supplier in our case, could be anyone you choose) would not fit a meter to just an isolator switch on it's own.  No idea why not, especially as the meter they ended up fitting had an isolator and accessible consumer-side tails terminals built in.  Best to just fit in with what they normally do, I found, even if it did mean having two sessions for installing and testing the temporary site supply.

This whole area does seem very DNO and supplier dependant.

If you have a (temporary) consumer unit with the tails already connected there is little doubt the supplier will connect the meter.

Sometimes they are unhappy fitting the meter if there is no consumer unit present.  So try to avoid that situation.

If it is a building supply they may not provide you with a PME earth terminal as you are not supposed to use that for a building site supply.

clearly it all varies.  I fitted an external electrical (green box) fastened to a wooden post, DNO ran cable and fitted main fuse, supplier fitted smart meter and isolation switch. I then fitted garage consumer unit,earthing rod and couple of sockets; so a temp supply.  When building is complete DNO will disconnect, add an extension and re-fit to same meter box moved to its final position (with temp dist box /earth rod removed)

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. I tried to amalgamate it and asked an electrician who was available short notice if he could install a 'mini' consumer garage unit, a power socket and earth electrode, plus whatever else we need, and he's said £400... does this seem a lot ? parts would be £100 or something. I liked the electrician but it seems pricey... but I also only have a day to sort this out! 

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Hi everyone, thanks for all your input. I tried to amalgamate it and asked an electrician who was available short notice if he could install a 'mini' consumer garage unit, a power socket and earth electrode, plus whatever else we need, and he's said £400... does this seem a lot ? parts would be £100 or something. I liked the electrician but it seems pricey... but I also only have a day to sort this out! 

I would have charged about £200 for that.  He is charging £300 for about half a days labour or less.

Tell him to give as sensible quote and if his work is good and his price is fair you will consider him for more of the work.

It really does annoy me when you meed rip off merchants like that.

27 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would have charged about £200 for that.  He is charging £300 for about half a days labour or less.

Tell him to give as sensible quote and if his work is good and his price is fair you will consider him for more of the work.

It really does annoy me when you meed rip off merchants like that.

OK I got through to an electrician our neighbour knows and they quoted less than £200 so that is better! Glad I had that feedback otherwise I might have gone for it. Thank you!