Channel 4 Dispatches -  Britain's New Build Scandal

Ralph

I watched Channel 4 Dispatches -  Britain's New Build Scandal last night where they focused on Persimmons, astounding levels of incompetency and negligence all propped up by the help to buy scheme. Nice £70 million bonus for the top man at Persimmons as well.

Now I would hope that a combination of using a decent contractor, spending a lot of time on site and actually caring about the quality would mean that problems are kept to a minimum however the show did make me think about the value of a professional snagging contractor. 

For about £400 they will come in, spend the best part of a day going over the build and compile a snagging list from the major regulations failures right down to the minor finishing issues. 

I'm sure for a true self build you would be well aware of most of the shortcomings but has anyone got an opinion on using one when your going down the main contractor / trades route?

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

imo using a professional snagger is a bit late in the process to see what's going on, it's much more effective to stop things in process rather than wait to the end and try to undo something done incorrectly. It works on a new build where you've got no input or involvement in the process and the only opportunity you have to rectify anything is a short window after completion, if you have the chance get someone who knows what they are doing to observe as work is happening

Yes I see your point, so much hidden after the plasterboard goes up.