Bathroom extractor Fan

Can anyone recommend a good extractor fan for a wetroom?  All the ones I have seen before are either noisy or let lots of air into the room, with rather negates the heating we are putting in.  I have been looking at this one. 

image.png.c5426cc8167367d074584fff294c99d2.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Envirovent-SIL100T-Silent-Bathroom-Extractor/dp/B0080XNKQ0/ref=asc_df_B0080XNKQ0/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=272030589264&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8883313418220292830&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006515&hvtargid=pla-521450556954&psc=1

It is important that it does not allow cold air in so must have a good back draugh shutter.  Any recommendations or advice?  The elctrician is coming soon for first fix so I'd like to be able to tell him what we plan to use. thank you.

Mines quite noisy I think at 31dB, but it's in and has pretty blue lights...must take the label off and paint over / wipe off the paw prints...

Only a stop gap until MVHR...so likely permanent then! ?

IMG-20190709-WA0016

• Haha 1

I now use ones with a constant low flow plus boost and timer rather than a backdraft shutter. I do this to provide a better background ventilated space in restored houses where a full MVHR cannot be justified, and trickle vents have been avoided because on principle they are a horrible thing to inflict on energy bills.

Vent AxIa do these, and I would recommend. They are silent. I have swapped out a couple of HR units where Ts found the slight noise to be too much.

My one comment would be to are sure that the boost extraction is enough, as wet rooms can be steamy places beyond expectations.

VA also have some interesting auto response type fans.

I have also used the Icon Airflow. One rented property has had one since perhaps 2012. They whirr slightly, but are Fine. They do however do bigger ones, and if you fit the wrong one you will know about it because you will be blown away.

F

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, nod said:

I used the inline type

Very powerful and ultra quiet tucked away in the loft 

We can vent our into the loft- this may be a silly question but does it only go into the roof space or does it go through the loft and out of the roof. it would be quite easy to vent ours into the loft space.

4 minutes ago, TheMitchells said:

We can vent our into the loft- this may be a silly question but does it only go into the roof space or does it go through the loft and out of the roof. it would be quite easy to vent ours into the loft space.

Don't just vent it into the loft space, as you will get a lot of condensation inside the loft, which will drip down everywhere (ask how I know this...).  Run the duct out to either the eaves or the gable and then to a terminal outside.  Often there is room under the soffit to fit a terminal, saves going through the gable wall.  You can get roof fitted vents, but they are a bit more hassle to install, depending on the sort of roofing.

• Thanks 1

okay - will do.  it did seem odd to be venting to the loft so I thought I'd better check.  I shall ask the builders about it going through the soffit - thats what they are working on today - taking the brickwork up the soffit and roof apex. 

I went with this one, it has a constant silent trickle and bursts into life when the  bathroom light is switched on at which point it is not quiet. Clears the room well and I would buy again. 

54AF6524-4C68-4474-B707-DAF5E2B9281C.jpeg

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I went with this one, it has a constant silent trickle and bursts into life when the  bathroom light is switched on at which point it is not quiet. Clears the room well and I would buy again. 

54AF6524-4C68-4474-B707-DAF5E2B9281C.jpeg

I use the version of that without a humidistat, which I never seem to get on with. About 2/3 of the price.

The only question I have on these is the throughput on boost in a shower room. But I will still use them.

F

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I use the version of that without a humidistat, which I never seem to get on with. About 2/3 of the price.

Agree, next time I will go with the timer only version. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looking to buy the extractor soon but the reviews of the Vent Axia VASF100T are not that great with lots saying you need to use the higher speed to give adequate extraction and that is not as silent as they claim.   so am now looking at the other suggestion from above,

https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/lo-carbon-va150p-with-shutter-timer-459124.html

But that is £140 which seems rather a lot for a bathroom extractor. 

The Icon Airflow looks good too and claims the noise level is 33.6 dB(A) .  that sounds reasonable.  I believe we need to add a module to connect it to the lights. £78 on Trading Depot website. 

https://www.tradingdepot.co.uk/airflow-icon-30-centrifugal-extractor-fan-suitable-for-bathrooms-utility-rooms?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItZaGuISD5AIVCLDtCh3rwQyEEAYYBiABEgLCs_D_BwE

thinking of ordering that one.

Don't think I would recommend the one I've just fitted as per above picture. Maybe I got my sums wrong ref the volume etc. Maybe it's only working 75% as one edge is so close to the wall.

• Silver Glass
  • Timer
  • Humidistat LED Display
  • 100mm Diameter
  • Noise Level 31dB
  • Extraction 115 m3/hr
  • Complies To Latest Part F Building Regulations

Using the wet room corner and the room gets steamy as does the window. Humidity gets to 90 odd percent on occasion. Fan will run until well into the next morning.

Still, it looks good...

26 minutes ago, ProDave said:

For it to extract air, replacement air has to get into the room.  You did leave a gap under the door didn't you?

I'd allowed for 10mm. I'll double check I achieved that when I fitted the door.

I have ordered the Icon Airflow and will let you know how I get on with it.  It has a mechanically opening iris to prevent back draughts which has to be a plus and should be fairly quiet.  and I shall ensure it has plenty of ventilation under the door too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sorry Pete, have been off line for a while - its probably too late for you but I am very pleased with the Icon Airflow.  its not silent but not too loud and with the bathroom door shut, its barely heard.  and its quite interesting watching the iris open as it takes about 20 seconds for it to open.  hope that helps others who may be looking.

On 15/09/2019 at 23:09, PeteTheSwede said:

Any feedback on the Icon Airflow @TheMitchells? - I need to  buy 4 fans in the next few days to replace the cheap and nasty ones my builder tried to install.

Thanks

Pete

I have 3 in our house and the oldest has been in some years. I think they are decent. The oldest is starting to make a bit of noise now but as with all these small fans, keeping the fan blades clean will prolong its life. It doesn’t take much crud build up to effect the shaft balance and it’s this imbalance which causes accelerated wear. The icon cover easily twists off for cleaning and access to the fan.

i initially chose the icon for aesthetics and quiet operation.

I thave hunk you should get a number of years depending on usage level.

I have one installed dating back to about 2011, but it in a bathroom and an exceptionally civilised, house proud tenant. Even by the standards of my tenants. No 50 bottles of urine anywhere

I would expect many more years from it.

Though personally I prefer the Vent Axia product.

F